The Student Room Group

Clearing

Would be really grateful if anybody could help. I potentially want to study at university starting September 2020. I have a good idea of the subject and university in question, but haven’t arranged any student finance / accommodation. Is it possible to make a clearing application and still arrange finance to pay for accommodation and student loan with the time available? Or would I have to make a normal application next year ?

Also if you were to make that finance application and get a payout then decide “last minute” to not to go university , are you stuck with the money and have to pay it back with interest? Or can you return what’s left and pay off anything you spent? Don’t want to rush to make applications and then be trapped into something.
Clearly you haven’t made up your mind. I’d suggest waiting till next years applications open. Also, although you may get admission from clearing, it is likely to be the leftovers (not the best uni you might be able to get into). But, it might be too late for financial aid since most unis must have already fulfilled their yearly budget for this. Don’t rush it, take your time and decide. I strongly recommend applying in next year.
Original post by csmith20
Would be really grateful if anybody could help. I potentially want to study at university starting September 2020. I have a good idea of the subject and university in question, but haven’t arranged any student finance / accommodation. Is it possible to make a clearing application and still arrange finance to pay for accommodation and student loan with the time available? Or would I have to make a normal application next year ?

Also if you were to make that finance application and get a payout then decide “last minute” to not to go university , are you stuck with the money and have to pay it back with interest? Or can you return what’s left and pay off anything you spent? Don’t want to rush to make applications and then be trapped into something.

It's not too late to apply for this year and the only problem with student finance is that it might be a bit late coming in so that you wouldn't necessarily have your loan in time for the beginning of term. The uni would understand this re your tuition fees but it would mean you would need to have enough of your own money to pay for food, etc.

Also if you do apply for finance and then change your mind you won't be trapped into anything. You wouldn't get your first payment until September anyway, and ony after you have registered at a particular university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending