Is it possible for me and my partner to do uni with a baby?

Watch
Demliz96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, my partner and I have always talked off going to uni. I’m 23 and he’s 27. But then I fell pregnant and now have a little girl.

I’m sick of jobs where I can’t a)do what I want to do without a degree and b) get paid less cause I don’t have a degree. My daughters childcare will be more than I earn a week if I go back to my old job.

My partner was made redundant and always wanted to go back to design. It’s not fair one of us has to pick a course while the other works and takes care of the child so is it possible for us both to do a course and get help with fees? I have every intention of returning to work after. A stay at home mum isn’t for me.

I’ve looked into open uni, you get no financially help. No childcare help so completing a course with no help and having her full time. Also I don’t believe I could teach it to myself and my partners course isn’t available on there

He will probably get a part time job around it but is it possible to leave on 2 student loans.

Thanks
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think it varies between universities but some, if memory serves, offer support for full time parents like creches and such.
Not sure any of them will give you money to attend with a child though.
J_Gow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In a similar situation about to start a degree with Open University. We are eligible for universal credit and the student finance loan has no impact on this, however if we were to take any additional maintenance loans then universal credit would be reduced by that amount, but OU is still classed as part time learning so wouldn't qualify for any additional loans regardless.

Hope that helps.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Demliz96)
Hi, my partner and I have always talked off going to uni. I’m 23 and he’s 27. But then I fell pregnant and now have a little girl.

I’m sick of jobs where I can’t a)do what I want to do without a degree and b) get paid less cause I don’t have a degree. My daughters childcare will be more than I earn a week if I go back to my old job.

My partner was made redundant and always wanted to go back to design. It’s not fair one of us has to pick a course while the other works and takes care of the child so is it possible for us both to do a course and get help with fees? I have every intention of returning to work after. A stay at home mum isn’t for me.

I’ve looked into open uni, you get no financially help. No childcare help so completing a course with no help and having her full time. Also I don’t believe I could teach it to myself and my partners course isn’t available on there

He will probably get a part time job around it but is it possible to leave on 2 student loans.

Thanks
Completely depends on your outgoings, if you both got the maximum loan that could be 7.8k ish to live off each and then there d be some grant for childcare and a small amount of parents allowance on top. I think you d have to sit down and do the maths to figure out if it's affordable.
Lizzillo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi!

It is completely possible. I'm a single parent and through SF I get maintenance, Parental Learning Allowance and a Child Care Grant which covers 85% of childcare fees year round, and my uni pays the 15% remaining. My kid goes to nursery M-F 8-5 for free so I can study and work in the summer. I'm in Wales, so I get some extra grants, but I get £14k per year in grants and maintenance, which is more than enough for rent and living costs.

I have 2 friends who are a 19 year old couple with a baby. They are both going into their second year. Each receives tuition, maintenance, PLA and the childcare grant (though this is just on her account, it covers childcare and childcare isn't double cost for 2 students, 1 child 1 price). They each get the full £8k maintenance, plus £1.7k parental, plus some extra welsh grants and childcare paid for.

Id ring up and speak to SF, but you both class as independent students as he is over 25 and you have a child. As you aren't married, I don't even think you need to mention the others income, and SF doesn't look into a students own income at all. And, as a parent, you may be able to claim some Universal Credit too, it won't be much as they deduct maintenance and any non child related grants, but it would be something.

Also, as its August and you aren't awaiting Alevel results, you could even ring/email your unis admission line and apply as direct entrants, so no UCAS, no Personal Statements etc, no clearing. I did this last yaar and had an offer the same day.

Good luck, worth giving it a go anyway! Figure out what you need to each month budget wise to live as you are now, and see if the SF matches up, or if you could cut money somewhere etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (159)
38.41%
Take autumn exams (126)
30.43%
Look for a job (15)
3.62%
Consider an apprenticeship (18)
4.35%
Take a year out (70)
16.91%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
6.28%

Watched Threads