Prissrxx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I will be going up to Y13, and I want to study PPE at UCL, LSE, or KCL. (Also considering other economic degrees), but I am worried that my GCSE grades are not good enough. I think I can achieve the desired A-Level grades for the course which is A*AA, but would it be worth applying with these gcses? I think I did alright in Maths and English which are probably the most important, but overall my grades are not great.
Maths: 9
English Lang: 7
Eng lit: A
Chemistry: 7
Physics: 6
Biology: 6
German 6
Geography: 6
Computer Science: 5
AD MATHS: D
DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY: 3
Last edited by Prissrxx; 1 week ago
gordi1111
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
so do you require assistance?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Prissrxx)
I will be going up to Y13, and I want to study PPE at UCL, LSE, or KCL. (Also considering other economic degrees), but I am worried that my GCSE grades are not good enough. I think I can achieve the desired A-Level grades for the course which is A*AA, but would it be worth applying with these gcses? I think I did alright in Maths and English which are probably the most important, but overall my grades are not great.
Maths: 9
English Lang: 7
Eng lit: A
Chemistry: 7
Physics: 6
Biology: 6
Geography: 6
Computer Science: 5
AD MATHS: D
DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY: 3
LSE would probably be the one most likely to be unhappy with your GCSE profile since they do look closely at GCSEs and want "A strong set of GCSE grades including a significant number at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9)".

Whether your GCSEs are strong enough for them I can't say but they will be able to tell you so I suggest you phone or email their Admissions team to ask or attend an Open Day - even a virtual one should give you the opportunity to ask questions.

UCL say they require a foreign language which you don't seem to have but they also say that students can study a foreign language after they begin a course there if they don't currently have one, so again I would clarify whether you will be at a disadvantage compared to other applicants with them directly.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The foreign language requirement UCL use isnt a strict one and OP wont be disadvantaged over not having one. Basically you can take a course over the summer or take an additional foreign language module whilst there. I suspect the GCSEs will be fine outside maybe of Oxford and LSE. They are not bad at all and most arent concerned with them anyway

UCL is committed to Modern Foreign Language education. All UK Honours Degree students, with the exception of those on one-year Top-Up Honours Degrees or iBSc degrees, must enter UCL with, or have developed by graduation, a basic level of competence in a Modern Foreign Language (MFL).

In order to satisfy UCL’s Modern Foreign Language (MFL) requirements, students must undertake one of the following[1]:

Hold a C grade or higher in GCSE, or equivalent, in a Modern Foreign Language, OR
Where available, attend a Modern Foreign Language Summer School arranged by UCL prior to enrolment, OR
Enrol on a 15-credit module in a Modern Foreign Language as a module choice within the student’s standard programme diet. The student must be subject to the standard programme requirements for Progression, Award, Classification and Reassessment, OR
Enrol on an additional 15-credit module in a Modern Foreign Language, over and above the 120 credits required in each year of study. The student must meet the minimum attendance requirements and take part in the assessment, but does not have to pass the module and the mark will not be included in the student’s Classification calculation. If a student does not meet the attendance requirements, they will be Barred from the assessment and must Repeat the module in the following academic session with attendance and fees and marks capped at the Pass Mark. As it is an additional module, and is not a requirement of Progression in any given year, the Repeat may be taken in tandem with enrolment on a subsequent year of study, OR
Exceptionally, and by agreement with the UCL Centre for Language and International Education, enrol on an evening class in a Modern Foreign Language.
In exceptional circumstances UCL Academic Services on behalf of the Vice-Provost (Education & Student Affairs) may suspend the MFL requirements if they are deemed to place an unreasonable burden on a student. Applications must be made to UCL Academic Services via the Faculty Tutor.

A student who fails to satisfy the requirement by the end of their programme will not be eligible for the award of an Honours Degree.

British Sign Language
Enrolment on a 15-credit module in British Sign Language will satisfy the MFL requirement.

Subject to approval by the Faculty Tutor, an appropriate, formal qualification in British Sign Language or another Sign Language maybe considered as an equivalent to a GCSE.

Subject to approval by UCL Academic Services on behalf of the Vice-Provost (Education & Student Affairs), experiential learning in British Sign Language or another Sign Language may be considered, where accreditation is not available. Applications must be made via the Faculty Tutor.

Ancient Languages
GCSE passes in, or enrolment on a 15-credit module in, Ancient Greek, Hebrew or Latin will not satisfy the MFL requirement.
Lucyyy279
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I want to advise you against applying to 3/5 uni choices with the same grades. I did the same were 3 where the same and the others were only 1 or 2 below. Make sure to have a range of grades at unis you like. So 2/5 one of these and 3 others at lower grades so 3As/AAB/ABB.
Last edited by Lucyyy279; 1 week ago
Prissrxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
LSE would probably be the one most likely to be unhappy with your GCSE profile since they do look closely at GCSEs and want "A strong set of GCSE grades including a significant number at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9)".

Whether your GCSEs are strong enough for them I can't say but they will be able to tell you so I suggest you phone or email their Admissions team to ask or attend an Open Day - even a virtual one should give you the opportunity to ask questions.

UCL say they require a foreign language which you don't seem to have but they also say that students can study a foreign language after they begin a course there if they don't currently have one, so again I would clarify whether you will be at a disadvantage compared to other applicants with them directly.
Hi,
Thanks for the helpful reply.
About the Foreign Language at GCSE, I forgot to put it on there but I have a 6 for GERMAN.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Prissrxx)
Hi,
Thanks for the helpful reply.
About the Foreign Language at GCSE, I forgot to put it on there but I have a 6 for GERMAN.
That's great, so there wouldn't be any issues with you applying to UCL or Kings.

LSE might be alright with your GCSE profile too but best to check with them first rather than risk wasting a space on the UCAS form. Although you might also want to consider Lucyyy279s advice about not applying to too many A*AA unis at the expense of others as you also need to consider your Insurance choices so you should ideally have at least 2 that are asking for AAA or below.
Prissrxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
That's great, so there wouldn't be any issues with you applying to UCL or Kings.

LSE might be alright with your GCSE profile too but best to check with them first rather than risk wasting a space on the UCAS form. Although you might also want to consider Lucyyy279s advice about not applying to too many A*AA unis at the expense of others as you also need to consider your Insurance choices so you should ideally have at least 2 that are asking for AAA or below.
Once again, thanks for the helpful reply.

I have also participated in debating society, the Model United Nations in my School as extra curriculum, and in economics competitions held by RES and LSE SU (although the results are not out yet). I have also been reading some relevant books that I could maybe discuss in my personal statement.
Are there any other things that you would recommend to make my application more competitive for PPE in these top universities?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (6)
4.2%
Confident (14)
9.79%
Indifferent (15)
10.49%
Unsure (31)
21.68%
Worried (77)
53.85%

Watched Threads