I don't know what to take for A level...

Watch
trotters03
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
HI!
I'm really confused at what subjects I want to do for alevel.
I have Biology, Chemistry, English, History, Spanish and French to choose from.
I want to take Bio and Chem to leave the option of studying medicine open at University. However, I didn't love Chemistry at GCSE and am worried at the Maths side of it at A level. For biology, I've always found it interesting but I don't want to do it without another science as I've heard thats really hard. Is that true or is it feasible? I probably would have got two 8's at GCSE in them.
As for English and History, I don't want to choose between them. I am probably better at English but have found History more interesting. Would it be a lot of work doing them together? And would it be better to have eg one language, one science and one humanity?
I know that I want to do a language at A level, I got 9's in both Spanish and French GCSE mock so I find languages not too hard. I probably prefer Spanish and am better at it but am self-conscious about my accent and worried it will hold me back (I can't roll my r's). I definitely also enjoy French but I feel like Spanish will take me further and if I'm self-conscious about it I'm less likely to pick it up later. My french accent is decent and I am quite good at it too...
Could anyone offer some help?
Thanks so much xx
JessD3333
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! I would personally say that taking options you don't like to keep doors open means that you may not like the doors you are opening. For example, if you don't like chemistry that much, you may not enjoy medicine. Doing subjects you love means that you will only have a door open to things you love. You may love the chemistry A-level but this is just something to bear in mind.

You can definitely do biology without another science, chemistry and maths might help with some of the topics, but it is possible to do it on its own.

Lots of people do English and History together as they go really well together and use similar skill sets.

I personally don't think it's worth doing one science, one humanity and one language just for the sake of it, I would focus on what you enjoy, if that ends up being three humanities, brilliant. If it ends up being two sciences and a language, also brilliant

I definitely wouldn't let your accent stop you from taking Spanish A-level I can't roll my tongue either and I am taking both french and Spanish A-levels, it can always improve over time, and most of the marks from speaking come from different things. Those grades are excellent, I'm sure you will excel at whichever language you pick, or maybe you could even do both if you are strong at both of them.

Do you have any idea of what degree you may want to do? Sometimes if you're completely stuck it can be better to work backwards

I hope this helps
trotters03
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by JessD3333)
Hi! I would personally say that taking options you don't like to keep doors open means that you may not like the doors you are opening. For example, if you don't like chemistry that much, you may not enjoy medicine. Doing subjects you love means that you will only have a door open to things you love. You may love the chemistry A-level but this is just something to bear in mind.

You can definitely do biology without another science, chemistry and maths might help with some of the topics, but it is possible to do it on its own.

Lots of people do English and History together as they go really well together and use similar skill sets.

I personally don't think it's worth doing one science, one humanity and one language just for the sake of it, I would focus on what you enjoy, if that ends up being three humanities, brilliant. If it ends up being two sciences and a language, also brilliant

I definitely wouldn't let your accent stop you from taking Spanish A-level I can't roll my tongue either and I am taking both french and Spanish A-levels, it can always improve over time, and most of the marks from speaking come from different things. Those grades are excellent, I'm sure you will excel at whichever language you pick, or maybe you could even do both if you are strong at both of them.

Do you have any idea of what degree you may want to do? Sometimes if you're completely stuck it can be better to work backwards

I hope this helps
Thanks so much this was so hopeful.
I completely agree with what you say about Chemistry, but there's just a part of me that doesn't want to let go of Medicine as I feel like I could love it. On the other hand I would hate it and would only have qualifications for a degree that I no longer want to do and would have no other a levels - apart for Spanish (which I think I will do so thank you!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (117)
25.22%
Better than expected (96)
20.69%
Worse than expected (251)
54.09%

Watched Threads