advice for a 16/17 year old

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
does anyone have any advice for 16/17 year olds, something they wish they knew at 16 or just general advice for people in college. It could be to do with studying, A levels, Uni, Tips for presenting yourself eg. skincare,fashion, friendship/ relationship advice, literally anything would be appreciated. not sure I've put this in the right place, tell me if I haven't
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
im 16 too
i dont hv any advice tho.....
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
After reading some of the posts on here - and speaking as a much older person - never send/text/whatsapp photos of any part of your body that you wouldn't want your grandparents to see.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
Don't act like someone you're not. Always be yourself.
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It gets better
Make an effort to meet new people?
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago
Always do your best, and never give up on the things you want. Remember that if you try something and fail, don’t give up. Don’t feel disheartened in yourself. We all fail sometimes, and it’s important to remember that if you did your best and still failed, it’s not because you’re not good enough. You did the best you could at the time, that doesn’t mean you can’t do better at a later date.
Josh burns
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Focus on yourself first. Friends will come and go, girls will come and go but at the end of the day your the only one whos gonna be there for yourself no matter what so dont neglect yourself.
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Try and find a regular volunteering placement or a job. The experience at your age is invaluable, and it’s a great way to do something that is “outside of your comfort zone”.
If not, look for a sports club or local society of a hobby or interest you have.
If you want to try dating then go for it, if it’s not working then don’t feel like you’re a misfit among friends who are in relationships. Different people will come and go, and that’s fine. But always be true to yourself.
Make friends and do things! Live life a bit. At sixth form I was always in the library and didn’t make any friends. Yes my academics were good, but I had no friends or any social experience which I regret I wish I tried a bit harder to make friends.

And most importantly, start using social media (mostly Instagram, but Facebook, Twitter, TikTok etc) less often. Be conscious when you mindlessly scroll. I unfollowed lots of old people at school who I want interested in anymore and who made me feel unworthy and unhappy whenever I went on Instagram. And be careful with celebrities, don’t be upset about their perfect body or their beautifully edited selfie. It’s unrealistic. It’s important to remember that social media is a highlights reel, people do not show their “lowlights” and their imperfections. Don’t be scared to break the façade of mutuality of friendship with someone you don’t really know anymore if you unfollow them. Follow people that inspire you, or people that post funny or factual content etc. Try and learn something when you go on social media, and try and make it uplift you, not drag you down.
Last edited by Deggs_14; 3 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Try and find a regular volunteering placement or a job. The experience at your age is invaluable, and it’s a great way to do something that is “outside of your comfort zone”.
If not, look for a sports club or local society of a hobby or interest you have.
If you want to try dating then go for it, if it’s not working then don’t feel like you’re a misfit among friends who are in relationships. Different people will come and go, and that’s fine. But always be true to yourself.
Make friends and do things! Live life a bit. At sixth form I was always in the library and didn’t make any friends. Yes my academics were good, but I had no friends or any social experience which I regret I wish I tried a bit harder to make friends.

And most importantly, start using social media (mostly Instagram, but Facebook, Twitter, TikTok etc) less often. Be conscious when you mindlessly scroll. I unfollowed lots of old people at school who I want interested in anymore and who made me feel unworthy and unhappy whenever I went on Instagram. And be careful with celebrities, don’t be upset about their perfect body or their beautifully edited selfie. It’s unrealistic. It’s important to remember that social media is a highlights reel, people do not show their “lowlights” and their imperfections. Don’t be scared to break the façade of mutuality of friendship with someone you don’t really know anymore if you unfollow them. Follow people that inspire you, or people that post funny or factual content etc. Try and learn something when you go on social media, and try and make it uplift you, not drag you down.
thanks for this, I really needed to hear the thing about Instagram, I'm extroverted so I don't have trouble making friends but I still feel very self conscious and I'm shy in some ways. I rarely go on Instagram but about once a week I check up on what people my age are posting and it literally makes me feel so depressed and self conscious, I know they all edit their pictures and only post the best bits of their lives so it's all fake but it still affects me, I never thought to unfollow people if I didn't care about them or want to see them, how did I not think of that lmao
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise