Suzannahgrace96
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi everyone. It's my first post here and hope you can help.

I am going to go to uni as a mature student next year to study social work. I am thinking about having a complete change and moving to a new part of the country. Has anyone from the south moved to the north, if so how did you find it?

I really like the look of Chester and Lancaster, anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Suzannahgrace96)
Hi everyone. It's my first post here and hope you can help.

I am going to go to uni as a mature student next year to study social work. I am thinking about having a complete change and moving to a new part of the country. Has anyone from the south moved to the north, if so how did you find it?

I really like the look of Chester and Lancaster, anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you.
Hi Suzannahgrace96,
I moved from London to study at Lancaster.
In general there's good transport links from London Euston to Lancaster, and the bus service in Lancaster has improved SO much in the last few years (when I got there you had to pay in cash) - you can now pay with contactless, the Stagecoach app functions really well & in general it's super easy to get around.
The living cost in Lancaster is insanely cheap, from rent to going out to food, you'll probably notice the the savings that you can make.
In general, anywhere where there's lots of students, you probably won't stand out that much as a 'Southerner' as there'll be plenty of you.
I really enjoyed my time in Lancaster and I'm happy I moved away to somewhere so beautiful.
Let me know if this was useful and if you have anymore questions.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Suzannahgrace96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hi Suzannahgrace96,
I moved from London to study at Lancaster.
In general there's good transport links from London Euston to Lancaster, and the bus service in Lancaster has improved SO much in the last few years (when I got there you had to pay in cash) - you can now pay with contactless, the Stagecoach app functions really well & in general it's super easy to get around.
The living cost in Lancaster is insanely cheap, from rent to going out to food, you'll probably notice the the savings that you can make.
In general, anywhere where there's lots of students, you probably won't stand out that much as a 'Southerner' as there'll be plenty of you.
I really enjoyed my time in Lancaster and I'm happy I moved away to somewhere so beautiful.
Let me know if this was useful and if you have anymore questions.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Hi Chatlotte thats all really good to know. Thank you so much.
mayacerise
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I moved from Hertfordshire to Chester to do nursing back in 2017. It was lovely at the start as it’s like a brand new city and a fresh start. I don’t like Chester uni as a whole, and spending nearly 3 years here has really changed my view point of Chester city. It looks so pretty when you first get here but then you just realise it’s like any other city just more compacted. I wouldn’t really rate Chester as a uni and a city but that’s just my experiences I’ve had here. I’m moving away thank god to Sheffield to do social work at Sheffield Hallam they are so much better than Chester plus it’s more of a student city Sheffield so you will get the best of everything (I feel like Chester is an old persons city and a student city second) again that’s just my opinion xx
Suzannahgrace96
Rep:
?
(Original post by mayacerise)
I moved from Hertfordshire to Chester to do nursing back in 2017. It was lovely at the start as it’s like a brand new city and a fresh start. I don’t like Chester uni as a whole, and spending nearly 3 years here has really changed my view point of Chester city. It looks so pretty when you first get here but then you just realise it’s like any other city just more compacted. I wouldn’t really rate Chester as a uni and a city but that’s just my experiences I’ve had here. I’m moving away thank god to Sheffield to do social work at Sheffield Hallam they are so much better than Chester plus it’s more of a student city Sheffield so you will get the best of everything (I feel like Chester is an old persons city and a student city second) again that’s just my opinion xx
Thanks so much for your advice. xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (16)
6.11%
Uncertainty around my education (29)
11.07%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (30)
11.45%
Lack of purpose or motivation (39)
14.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (15)
5.73%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (10)
3.82%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (25)
9.54%
Financial worries (17)
6.49%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (9)
3.44%
Exposure to negative news/social media (17)
6.49%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.29%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (31)
11.83%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (18)
6.87%

Watched Threads