vix.xvi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
is the textbook good? ive heard its not very good cuz its quite easy. is that true? x
SusannaW
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t know about every single a level maths textbook but I can tell you about the edexcel textbook - it’s ok, it explains everything fairly well but it’s true that a lot of the questions are not as hard as exam questions. However, this does have an advantage in that it has a variety of difficulties to ease you in to a topic.
In my school it was required that you have the textbook so you may have no choice but to get it.
theJoyfulGeek
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
is the textbook good? ive heard its not very good cuz its quite easy. is that true? x
Which exam board? OCR MEI have good further maths textbooks (so probably also maths), and Edexcel have good maths textbooks. I don't know about other exam boards.

The questions are as easy as the ones in an A level. A few are easier, so you can just skip them if you want - they're just for practising. Exam style questions are usually labelled as such.

I hope this helps!
Last edited by theJoyfulGeek; 1 week ago
vix.xvi
Rep:
?
(Original post by theJoyfulGeek)
Which exam board? OCR MEI have good further maths textbooks (so probably also maths), and Edexcel have good maths textbooks. I don't know about other exam boards.

The questions are as easy as the ones in an A level. Most are easier, so you can just skip them - they're just for practice. Exam style questions are usually labelled as such.
sorry i forgot to say- the Edexcel textbook
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For general practice, the pearson textbooks are good (if ur doing edexcel, then you will find these are used a lot in class and for hwk). It has exercises for each topic and then a mixed exercise with exam style and practice questions.
Yes you will find that at times the questions are easy so I just tend to skip them and do the more difficult q's but If i am a bit rough on a topic i do all the q's in an exercise.

Other books I use:
My maths oxford textbook
AQA hodder book
CGP exam practice paper book
lhh2003
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CurryCurry2468)
For general practice, the pearson textbooks are good (if ur doing edexcel, then you will find these are used a lot in class and for hwk). It has exercises for each topic and then a mixed exercise with exam style and practice questions.
Yes you will find that at times the questions are easy so I just tend to skip them and do the more difficult q's but If i am a bit rough on a topic i do all the q's in an exercise.

Other books I use:
My maths oxford textbook
AQA hodder book
Really ? The problem solving questions are easy ? A single one of those can take like 15 minutes to do... And some of the challenge questions' answers are like 2 pages long in that book.
Humairazaman
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Other books I use:
My maths oxford textbook
AQA hodder book
Hi ik im not OP but i have to ask this. I’m in yr 11 too and I’ve been using the oxford combined textbook yr 1 and 2(edexcel) and ive completed the AS(apart from hypothesis testing). I found the fluency and skills q’s relatively easy but I only got like 70 percent of all the problem solving and reasoning ones right. So, how easy do u think the ‘R and PS’ questions are compared to year 1 exam questions? Also would u recommend this textbook for now?(until the start of 6th form) thanks!
vix.xvi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Humairazaman)
...I’m in yr 11 too and ....
Wait how did u know I was in year 11?!!🧐😱
Humairazaman
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wait how did u know I was in year 11?!!🧐😱
Mate you started a thread some time ago asking what other yr 11s are doing and i replied on that thread too so...
vix.xvi
Rep:
?
Mate you started a thread some time ago asking what other yr 11s are doing and i replied on that thread too so...
ohh ok ok makes sense that scared me a bit lol ngl
CurryCurry2468
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi ik im not OP but i have to ask this. I’m in yr 11 too and I’ve been using the oxford combined textbook yr 1 and 2(edexcel) and ive completed the AS(apart from hypothesis testing). I found the fluency and skills q’s relatively easy but I only got like 70 percent of all the problem solving and reasoning ones right. So, how easy do u think the ‘R and PS’ questions are compared to year 1 exam questions? Also would u recommend this textbook for now?(until the start of 6th form) thanks!
Oh yeah fluency and skills legit is basicslly like a prior knowledge check.. you will find that you wont get all the problem solving q's right cuz of the way they are worded, you wont explicitly get these types of q's straight up in the exam. They are more so designed to set you up for the problem solving q's that crop up in the papers and if ur able to use the skills in these q's and apply them to exam q's then ur good to go when it comes to problem solving q's.

Personally I think they will seem harder than the questions from the pearson book at times primarily due to the way they are worded but tbh the pearson book does have some good exam style questions that are more sort of the style of what u would see in the exam rather than the oxford combined book.

I guess you could say the oxford textbook the oxford textbook can be likened to a building block for these problem solving q's as it sets you up with the scaffolding of skills and then you apply this in the q's from the pearson textbook

Yeah use the oxford book for now as you will use the pearson book in class most of the time. Are u using an online copy of the oxford book cuz its massive and I cannot imagine how somebody would be able to lugg the book around with them lol

All the best for year 12....
CurryCurry2468
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lhh2003)
Really ? The problem solving questions are easy ? A single one of those can take like 15 minutes to do... And some of the challenge questions' answers are like 2 pages long in that book.
Ummm I think I did not phrase my sentence right lol...
What I meant was in general you will find that some q's may be easy and rather than doing them I skip them. If it is hwk then I do it all but if it is in class then I just skip if I need to (for pure I do this but for applied I dont)

This wont be the case with everyone and I guess it just comes down to how comfortable you are with s topic. For me, when it comes to a topic before even touching the topic in class or even looking reading the topic in the textbook, I use the oxford textbook to get comfortable with the skills needed in the topic and then it helps when it comes to doing the topic in class
Humairazaman
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh yeah fluency and skills legit is basicslly like a prior knowledge check.. you will find that you wont get all the problem solving q's right cuz of the way they are worded, you wont explicitly get these types of q's straight up in the exam. They are more so designed to set you up for the problem solving q's that crop up in the papers and if ur able to use the skills in these q's and apply them to exam q's then ur good to go when it comes to problem solving q's.

Personally I think they will seem harder than the questions from the pearson book at times primarily due to the way they are worded but tbh the pearson book does have some good exam style questions that are more sort of the style of what u would see in the exam rather than the oxford combined book.

I guess you could say the oxford textbook the oxford textbook can be likened to a building block for these problem solving q's as it sets you up with the scaffolding of skills and then you apply this in the q's from the pearson textbook

Yeah use the oxford book for now as you will use the pearson book in class most of the time. Are u using an online copy of the oxford book cuz its massive and I cannot imagine how somebody would be able to lugg the book around with them lol

All the best for year 12....
This has really helped me, thank you so much!!
Yh i found it online for free so i made use of it of course . I’m not the type of person who’s ‘naturally’ good at maths, i only started getting 9s in maths a few weeks before schools closed and we couldn’t do mocks either so i didnt know much about my ability in it.
This is why i was concerned about Alevel maths so i used the textbook to help me get a head start since i didnt do fm gcse either. Obvs there were some topics like logs and exponentials which i didnt do as well in. But now i know my strengths and weaknesses so hopefully i can work on that.
I’m guessing that I will use the oxford textbook and extract all the skills I can from that so that once school starts, i can make use of the books they give me. Did your school give u the Pearson textbooks and were they free/discounted?
CurryCurry2468
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This has really helped me, thank you so much!!
Yh i found it online for free so i made use of it of course . I’m not the type of person who’s ‘naturally’ good at maths, i only started getting 9s in maths a few weeks before schools closed and we couldn’t do mocks either so i didnt know much about my ability in it.
This is why i was concerned about Alevel maths so i used the textbook to help me get a head start since i didnt do fm gcse either. Obvs there were some topics like logs and exponentials which i didnt do as well in. But now i know my strengths and weaknesses so hopefully i can work on that.
I’m guessing that I will use the oxford textbook and extract all the skills I can from that so that once school starts, i can make use of the books they give me. Did your school give u the Pearson textbooks and were they free/discounted?
My school loan the textbooks to us and u give them back at the end of the course. For the year 1 books we give them back in September of year 13 and year 2 books are given when exams are over
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (117)
25.22%
Better than expected (96)
20.69%
Worse than expected (251)
54.09%

Watched Threads