How credit transferring works, which is valued more?

Watch
sb176
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm looking to do a part time course, but I'm still decided between 2 schools. The plan is that I would eventually use the credits from these part time courses to turn it into a degree (maybe at the Open University, or Birkbeck).

Course A:
120 credits at level 4
Awards a Certificate of Higher Education

Course B:
60 SCQF (Scottish framework, I believe it's worth 60 credits in England, it's also rated at 30 ECTS) at level 5
Awards a Higher National Diploma

So one course has more credits but at a lower level, the other has less credits but at a higher level.

If I were to look at transferring these credits to a future undergraduate course, which would be of higher value?

Thanks!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sb176)
I'm looking to do a part time course, but I'm still decided between 2 schools. The plan is that I would eventually use the credits from these part time courses to turn it into a degree (maybe at the Open University, or Birkbeck).

Course A:
120 credits at level 4
Awards a Certificate of Higher Education

Course B:
60 SCQF (Scottish framework, I believe it's worth 60 credits in England, it's also rated at 30 ECTS) at level 5
Awards a Higher National Diploma

So one course has more credits but at a lower level, the other has less credits but at a higher level.

If I were to look at transferring these credits to a future undergraduate course, which would be of higher value?

Thanks!
Course A, will be less complex to do a transfer with
sb176
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Is that because course B is a Scottish system of credit? Or for another reason?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sb176)
Is that because course B is a Scottish system of credit? Or for another reason?
Because for a degree you generally need 120 credits at level 4, 120 at level 5 and 120 at level 6.

Trying to cash in 60 credits at level 5 without level 4 credits isn’t going to be simple.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.55%
Confident (14)
9.09%
Indifferent (16)
10.39%
Unsure (37)
24.03%
Worried (80)
51.95%

Watched Threads