The Student Room Group

Should i expect a first class by graduation when my first year result is 69.8?

Hey guys, I'm a student from imperial, and my first year grades were just released and they came out to be 69.8, if I am applying for any internships in my second year, would it be alright to write down 'on track to first class' or should I strictly say i am on track to second class? This is a situation where I have never expected myself to be in before, kind of rough, could someone be kind enough to give me some advices on this ?
Wouldn't 69.8 be rounded up to 70?
Original post by Sean0000
Hey guys, I'm a student from imperial, and my first year grades were just released and they came out to be 69.8, if I am applying for any internships in my second year, would it be alright to write down 'on track to first class' or should I strictly say i am on track to second class? This is a situation where I have never expected myself to be in before, kind of rough, could someone be kind enough to give me some advices on this ?

What do you mean kind of rough.... 😂 You've basically scored near a first in first year... Did you just assume you would waltz into Imperial, and upon arrival average an 80.

Check yourself.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot

I am honestly not very sure, I was always performing alright before the exams but I underwent both family bereavements and 12 hour time-zone differneces ( I live in the opposite side of the world) due to this whole Covid-situation, those 2 mitigation circumstances were claimed and accepted, but I am not sure if they took that into account when they gave me that decimal grade
Original post by Realitysreflexx
What do you mean kind of rough.... 😂 You've basically scored near a first in first year... Did you just assume you would waltz into Imperial, and upon arrival average an 80.

Check yourself.

What? I'm sure the OP, has worked hard to earn 70% anyway, I'm sure they are just frustrated, it's like working your ass off for an A* but being a few marks short of it. No one's talking ab waltzing in, and OP has clearly put in hard work to even get close to a 70, if they are upset, they're allowed to be, that's their take on it. And if they've had it rough, they must have had it rough, not your place to undermine what someone else went through in an academic school year.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5

Check yourself.

Hahaha, sorry I might have not explicitly explained the situation. It was mainly rough due to 2 mitigation circumstances happening one following another, so I was exhausted to even sit any exams, and I feel like I were at my normal states I would have performed somewhat better.
Reply 6
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
What? I'm sure the OP, has worked hard to earn 70% anyway, I'm sure they are just frustrated, it's like working your ass off for an A* but being a few marks short of it. No one's talking ab waltzing in, and OP has clearly put in hard work to even get close to a 70, if they are upset, they're allowed to be, that's their take on it. And if they've had it rough, they must have had it rough, not your place to undermine what someone else went through in an academic school year.

Thank you:suith:
Original post by Sean0000
Hahaha, sorry I might have not explicitly explained the situation. It was mainly rough due to 2 mitigation circumstances happening one following another, so I was exhausted to even sit any exams, and I feel like I were at my normal states I would have performed somewhat better.

Well that makes more sense now, i recant 😂. My apologies.
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?

🤔😂 Still 65 and above is not considered tough in my book for a result, but OP has explained and i have apologised.

But i guess in the days of grade inflation.
Reply 9
Well that makes more sense now, i recant 😂. My apologies.

No worries man, I understand there should be no excuses when some are working harder than me and got higher grades, so I won't complain but was just simply wondering about this question due to application purposes :biggrin:
Expect a first? No

Be on track to attaining one? Yes, it's close enough. Especially given mitigating circumstances, assuming that hasn't been already factored in (it should have been, though).

I missed a couple of exams at university for similar reasons as you, and I got the group average as my result for those tests, rather than my average - I was annoyed by that at the time.
Original post by ageshallnot

What car do you have?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending