xkay29
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi, I apologise I am not sure if this is in the right forum.

So for vet med there are compulsory work experience requirements, and a lot of the universities ask for proof of this in the form of a reference letter. Now, the issue is I am quite awkward with things like this because I always feel like I sound demanding (though people I ask for opinions before I send a message say I do not). So, what would you say is a good way to ask for a reference?

I have decided that when I have week-long placements I’ll simply ask the day before it ends, however I have had a one-day placement recently and did not feel comfortable asking them directly on the day. I texted them after to say thank you, and they said if I need any help with my application to message, so I jumped the bullet and asked for a reference but since have had no response. I don’t really want to prompt too soon, and even if I was to prompt I’d have no clue how to do it without thinking I sound rude. I’m thinking of emailing them in September asking again, but is there anything else I could do?

TIA
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It is a bit awkward, but since they offered, and since they gave you work experience to start with, they are clearly willing to help. They're probably just busy atm. Id give it a few more weeks and if you still haven't heard anything, just send them a message along the lines of 'hoping you're well, I was wondering whether it would be possible for you to provide a reference to support my application. Thank you again for your help...' etc.
I have the same issue in that I don't like to sound demanding, but as long as you're polite and balance the request with acknowledgment of their help, it sounds completely fine. People don't think as much into things as we think, 90% of the time, and it's good practice - it's always a bit uncomfortable, but getting used to it is good!
xkay29
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by redmeercat)
It is a bit awkward, but since they offered, and since they gave you work experience to start with, they are clearly willing to help. They're probably just busy atm. Id give it a few more weeks and if you still haven't heard anything, just send them a message along the lines of 'hoping you're well, I was wondering whether it would be possible for you to provide a reference to support my application. Thank you again for your help...' etc.
I have the same issue in that I don't like to sound demanding, but as long as you're polite and balance the request with acknowledgment of their help, it sounds completely fine. People don't think as much into things as we think, 90% of the time, and it's good practice - it's always a bit uncomfortable, but getting used to it is good!
Thanks for the advice - I guess it’s just because it was on text I’m worried because it’s harder to miss a text than an email, and I just don’t want to seem impolite if I ask again.
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by xkay29)
Thanks for the advice - I guess it’s just because it was on text I’m worried because it’s harder to miss a text than an email, and I just don’t want to seem impolite if I ask again.
I know, I feel the same way. But it really is ok to ask - the fact that you're so worried about it means that you care and that that will come across when the point to ask again comes. It'll be ok
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (110)
39.01%
Take autumn exams (90)
31.91%
Look for a job (8)
2.84%
Consider an apprenticeship (9)
3.19%
Take a year out (47)
16.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
6.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed