Libbyc16
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
which are the most pointless/ least employable degree to study?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Libbyc16)
No such thing. Dumb way to look at degrees.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Any degree is pointless, in this economy.
yzanne
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
we had one of these last week.

but i don't think any are really useless - you do what you need for the future.
Dexter345
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Art degrees
username5362962
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends on your ambitions and what you want to do in life. I teach tourism and no doubt it’s getting “mocked” continually for being “worthless” due to the current climate. Of course the industry will recover eventually.
jaime1082
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
useless mindset
Greg2003
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would say any degree which prepares you for a specific job - for example ‘armed service’, ‘primary education’ or ‘sport psychology’. It is better to get broad skills which will make you just as competitive in these specific areas, whilst also being able to do pretty much anything. For example mathematics, english literature, physics, history are all good options.

No degree is truly pointless, however, as most jobs simply require ‘a degree’, and the details are irrelevant compared to professional experience
UnwantedKid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Any degree which makes you feel like you've wasted your time and money.
yeetouttawindow
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Drewski)
No such thing. Dumb way to look at degrees.
not when you're paying extortionate tuition and heading into global recession
Last edited by yeetouttawindow; 1 month ago
mikhael0822
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dexter345)
Art degrees
i feel sorry for you
fuhnance
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No degree is pointless, many graduate schemes don't require a specific subject. What, however, is pointless is going to uni for three years for the social life and never having had a part time job or any experience in the world of work. Those people should be the laughing stocks, not those that go to uni to study a subject they're passionate about (no matter how "soft")
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Dentistry
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Greg2003)
I would say any degree which prepares you for a specific job - for example ‘armed service’, ‘primary education’ or ‘sport psychology’. It is better to get broad skills which will make you just as competitive in these specific areas, whilst also being able to do pretty much anything. For example mathematics, english literature, physics, history are all good options.

No degree is truly pointless, however, as most jobs simply require ‘a degree’, and the details are irrelevant compared to professional experience
Some primary education degrees grant QTS upon completion. So I don't think that is the best example of a useless degree, imo.
JOSH4598
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Greg2003)

Agreed. A more general degree can be moulded to suit that job, as being broad you can find links much easier. A very specfic degree might limit you a lot more, given it's harder to relate the course to unrelated fields. Especially important when people don't know what they want to do when they enter work.
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Dentistry
/s i assume?
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
TSR reaches new levels of debate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (44)
13.46%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
14.07%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (119)
36.39%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
10.09%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (67)
20.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.5%

Watched Threads