ZedTV
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Whats your opinions on this possible A level combination-

Biology, Maths, Sociology, Psychology, EPQ

Plans- studying human sciences with stats paper in year 1 (Oxford Uni) hopefully. I wont waste your time anymore
hope1279
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ZedTV)
Whats your opinions on this possible A level combination-

Biology, Maths, Sociology, Psychology, EPQ

Plans- studying human sciences with stats paper in year 1 (Oxford Uni) hopefully. I wont waste your time anymore
As long as you enjoy them your subject selection looks good. Doing four subjects and the EPQ might be a lot of work but if you're happy with that then go for it
ZedTV
Rep:
?
(Original post by hope1279)
As long as you enjoy them your subject selection looks good. Doing four subjects and the EPQ might be a lot of work but if you're happy with that then go for it
what if I take psychology up to AS only then drop- I still get the qualification and its recognised nationally? and i want my EPQ based on religion so then we have 5 perspectives dealing with people (maths is important as theres a stats paper in year 1 of degree and recommended by oxford)
hope1279
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ZedTV)
what if I take psychology up to AS only then drop- I still get the qualification and its recognised nationally? and i want my EPQ based on religion so then we have 5 perspectives dealing with people (maths is important as theres a stats paper in year 1 of degree and recommended by oxford)
Because most subjects don't have exams in year 1 now you probably won't end up with a qualification in it if you drop it. Of course you can drop a subject you don't like but you don't really have anything to show for the year usually.
ZedTV
Rep:
?
(Original post by hope1279)
Because most subjects don't have exams in year 1 now you probably won't end up with a qualification in it if you drop it. Of course you can drop a subject you don't like but you don't really have anything to show for the year usually.
my school said they still offer AS- even if we want full A levels only we still sit AS mocks at year 12 and can drop if we want?? I'm so confused
hope1279
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ZedTV)
my school said they still offer AS- even if we want full A levels only we still sit AS mocks at year 12 and can drop if we want?? I'm so confused
Most colleges will have you sit a mock exam in year 1 but this doesn't count towards your final grade. It's usually used to see how much you've learnt and helps create predicted grades. Year 1 is called AS still but AS grades aren't really a thing anymore, just the A level at the end of year 2 counts for your grade unless you have coursework. If you're confused it's best trying to email your college and get the information from them
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There is no benefit to taking 4 subjects as proposed, so you may as well just take 3. Universities (including Oxford - perhaps even especially Oxford...) do not award "bonus points" for taking additional A-levels. Additionally any EPQ is not used in making offers by Oxford, so the value of it is only in what you personally get out of it. If you have a particular project in mind already that you would want to explore regardless then an EPQ is a good idea, but there is no point in taking it just because you think it will look "good" on your application or provide personal statement fodder.

Any combination of three of those should be suitable for Oxford human sciences. For UCL human sciences you would need to take biology.
ZedTV
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
There is no benefit to taking 4 subjects as proposed, so you may as well just take 3. Universities (including Oxford - perhaps even especially Oxford...) do not award "bonus points" for taking additional A-levels. Additionally any EPQ is not used in making offers by Oxford, so the value of it is only in what you personally get out of it. If you have a particular project in mind already that you would want to explore regardless then an EPQ is a good idea, but there is no point in taking it just because you think it will look "good" on your application or provide personal statement fodder.

Any combination of three of those should be suitable for Oxford human sciences. For UCL human sciences you would need to take biology.
thanks for this!!! the main reason I want to start out with 4 is because I've done soooooo much research into all 4 choices but I cant decide. perhaps after 1 month I may drop but only time will tell so I'm starting off with 4 but we are allowed to drop or switch choices within first month of our sixth form
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
imo you're taking the right approach by giving each subject a go before deciding. It's better than regretting your choice halfway through and not being able to do much about it.

Don't feel rushed into dropping one though, some people wait until end of year 12 exams before dropping.
ZedTV
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
imo you're taking the right approach by giving each subject a go before deciding. It's better than regretting your choice halfway through and not being able to do much about it.

Don't feel rushed into dropping one though, some people wait until end of year 12 exams before dropping.
but the main thing I'm trying to find out and cant find the awnser to is do I still get an AS qualification if I drop after year 12?
ZedTV
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)

like will I get the certificate and proof that I did a year in psych. e.g. like the gcse certificates we get soon
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ZedTV)
but the main thing I'm trying to find out and cant find the awnser to is do I still get an AS qualification if I drop after year 12?
Not automatically.

If your school enters year 12s into the AS exams and you sit the exam, you'll get a grade that you'll get a certificate for and can put on your UCAS.

Some schools have seen it not worth the effort to enter for ASs now that they are optional and standalone so just do internal mocks. (mocks that they administer, mark and grade themselves - although they often use the official AS papers for this) In this case you may have to ask to be entered for AS exams should you want to. But you would get no formal recognition of having studied the subject for a year in that case.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (114)
25.85%
Better than expected (92)
20.86%
Worse than expected (235)
53.29%

Watched Threads