Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not talking muscle mass here. I'm a female, and very underweight at the moment (bad summer) and have a hard time putting weight back on. Just want to fill back out again.

I'm looking at these protein shakes that bodybuilders drink... and on average, they seem to be about 250 cals per serving.

I'm thinking of buying a tub, and drinking about 3 shakes a day, just to add some calories to my diet (I don't like eating lots of food, makes me feel heavy and lazy)

It will help with putting on weight right? I know I sound stupid asking this, I just don't know much about these protein shakes and stuff... is it safe to drink them 3x a day like that without working out? Are they specifically FOR muscle building?

No, I think what you're looking for is Weight Gain shakes?

ReputationRep:
    Eating more calories than your body is burning makes you gain weight.

And there are special protein shakes out there for weight gain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rei)
    No, I think what you're looking for is Weight Gain shakes?
    I guess? I thought protein/weight gain shakes were all the same essentially..lol... silly me.

Are there milkshakes actually for weight gain then?! As in ... weight.. and not muscle mass?

Yeah there is, but I'm no expert since I've never used the stuff.. wait till you get a decent reply lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry_Plonker)
    Eating more calories than your body is burning makes you gain weight.

And there are special protein shakes out there for weight gain.

I know but I just can't do it... I've kept a food diary, increased my food intake little by little, but once I've eaten too much, my body rejects it and I start wretching, getting nauseous.. dono why though. I just don't like being full of food. I'm not bulimic or anorexic or whatever.. just.. don't like feeling full of food.. hmm...

ReputationRep:
    Just eat loads of high calorie food! Protein shakes are really for gaining muscle mass - extra protein to build muscles, which doesn;t seem to be what you want. There are better ways of getting calories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rei)
    Yeah there is, but I'm no expert since I've never used the stuff.. wait till you get a decent reply lol
    lol no worries, thanks though at least now i know they exist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mitsabeeba)
    I know but I just can't do it... I've kept a food diary, increased my food intake little by little, but once I've eaten too much, my body rejects it and I start wretching, getting nauseous.. dono why though. I just don't like being full of food. I'm not bulimic or anorexic or whatever.. just.. don't like feeling full of food.. hmm...
    I'd use protein shakes because at least it's decent calories. I would imagine weight gain shakes are packed with sugar. Do you exercise at all? I imagine if you did some weight training you would gain some weight to look at (you can't get bulky being a girl) and it might help you appetite? What is your diet/eating pattern like right now? Post it all up x

ReputationRep:
    You probably eat too much carbs, hence the feeling of laziness/heaviness. Things like rice, pasta, floury ****, etc will induce that feeling.

ReputationRep:
    Start doing some cardio and add a protein shake and/or a protein bar to your diet and I'm sure you'll gain some weight. The cardio will increase your appetite, but make sure to eat healthy don't just binge on crisps and sweets.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried weight training?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Venom)
    I'd use protein shakes because at least it's decent calories. I would imagine weight gain shakes are packed with sugar. Do you exercise at all? I imagine if you did some weight training you would gain some weight to look at (you can't get bulky being a girl) and it might help you appetite? What is your diet/eating pattern like right now? Post it all up x
    Yeah? I'll definately consider the protein shakes.. I'm looking at huge tubs on ebay (am i a loser? haha)
    Nah I don't exercise (I feel ashamed saying that in a fitness thread..)
    My eating habits... i eat considerably less than the average person... I just have a very small appetite, and it shows on my body (way too thin)

In the past I have kept a food diary, and for a year I managed to increase my daily calorie intake from 1200 a day, to 2300.. I gained some weight in that time... but eating that much food really TIRED ME OUT! And I was so sick from it.. hated it so much. Always felt heavy and lazy and full. I just don't want to do that again lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry_Plonker)
    Have you tried weight training?
    Well I don't actually want to get any muscle mass. I just want to get my woman bits back. Haha

ReputationRep:
    Right kids, hers the skinny on Protein shakes:

Protein shakes or Whey protein comprises of a whey concentrate or whey Isolate. They are essentially the same thing, do not worry about the difference as it stands.

Weight gainers comprise of a whey (normally a concentrate), a mixture of carbs (normally simple sugars; malto, dextrose etc) some added fats and sometimes creatine.

The most important thing in gaining weight is a calorie surplus. There is a post that I wrote in the stickied thread above, that contains information about weight gain. Ignore the resistance training part of that, and pay attention to the diet information about BMR etc.

The main reason that whey/weight gainers are used are because of the simplicity of preperation and the easily digestable calories.

In terms of the one you should look at, avoid maximuscle, boots and Holland + Barretts, as this will be your instincts to go look there.

Myprotein Flavoured Whey (use MP72252 for 5% off at the checkout)

MP Weightgainer(use MP72252 for 5% off at the checkout)

The other two big online shops I have used are

www.tropicanafitness.co.uk

and

Monster Supplements

both of those have navigation bars on the side, look for protein or weight gainers.

The myprotein ones have my personal recommendation though.

Hope that helpds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdt)
    You probably eat too much carbs, hence the feeling of laziness/heaviness. Things like rice, pasta, floury ****, etc will induce that feeling.
    Yeh thats spot on really...
    I eat really crap food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mitsabeeba)
    Yeah? I'll definately consider the protein shakes.. I'm looking at huge tubs on ebay (am i a loser? haha)
    Nah I don't exercise (I feel ashamed saying that in a fitness thread..)
    My eating habits... i eat considerably less than the average person... I just have a very small appetite, and it shows on my body (way too thin)

In the past I have kept a food diary, and for a year I managed to increase my daily calorie intake from 1200 a day, to 2300.. I gained some weight in that time... but eating that much food really TIRED ME OUT! And I was so sick from it.. hated it so much. Always felt heavy and lazy and full. I just don't want to do that again lol.
    What was you eating during that time? Maybe it was a lot of Carbs which cause you to feel bloated and way to full not too mention lazy! Also you should really start exercising, drinking the shakes wont make you hefty etc and it would be a lot easier for you to gain mass and weight by working out while using the shakes rather than just relying on them for calories - and you wont get bulky even if you start using free weights so dont worry about that. Whats your daily calorific intake now roughly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    Right kids, hers the skinny on Protein shakes:

Protein shakes or Whey protein comprises of a whey concentrate or whey Isolate. They are essentially the same thing, do not worry about the difference as it stands.

Weight gainers comprise of a whey (normally a concentrate), a mixture of carbs (normally simple sugars; malto, dextrose etc) some added fats and sometimes creatine.

The most important thing in gaining weight is a calorie surplus. There is a post that I wrote in the stickied thread above, that contains information about weight gain. Ignore the resistance training part of that, and pay attention to the diet information about BMR etc.

The main reason that whey/weight gainers are used are because of the simplicity of preperation and the easily digestable calories.

In terms of the one you should look at, avoid maximuscle, boots and Holland + Barretts, as this will be your instincts to go look there.

Myprotein Flavoured Whey (use MP72252 for 5% off at the checkout)

MP Weightgainer(use MP72252 for 5% off at the checkout)

The other two big online shops I have used are

www.tropicanafitness.co.uk

and

Monster Supplements

both of those have navigation bars on the side, look for protein or weight gainers.

The myprotein ones have my personal recommendation though.

Hope that helpds

thankyou!! :O thats great!

ReputationRep:
    don't use any shakes, just try to take in more calories..

ReputationRep:
    HOW could I forget! Drink more Milk to bulk Up. Seriously like a gallon a day. I drink that easily. (well maybe not a gallon in your case). Cravendale is on offer at Sainsburys atm, £0.99 for 2l. Stock up

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.