kaitlynrogers19
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
As a UK citizen, I am very interested in studying at uni in the US on an F1 visa. I am not just going for the prestigious schools but also the experience and the new places. I don't understand the Student Finance policies that many schools have or whether or not they are even accepting International Applicants. On some websites, it says I have to have the funds in my bank account for my first entire year and I can't rely on work? I really don't understand if I can get student loans or help financially. Do people really come into the US with $50,000+ in their bank? How does anyone study there? Please help.
expatmum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by kaitlynrogers19)
As a UK citizen, I am very interested in studying at uni in the US on an F1 visa. I am not just going for the prestigious schools but also the experience and the new places. I don't understand the Student Finance policies that many schools have or whether or not they are even accepting International Applicants. On some websites, it says I have to have the funds in my bank account for my first entire year and I can't rely on work? I really don't understand if I can get student loans or help financially. Do people really come into the US with $50,000+ in their bank? How does anyone study there? Please help.
Hey. Firstly, when are you applying? If it's this year I would really think twice, or at least make sure you have a back up plan of UK Uni's as well. The covid / visa situation is in flux, and isn't likely to improve for a while. I'm not even sure US consulates are open abroad to issue visas. In addition, whilst US colleges welcome international students with open arms, that is partly because they usually pay full tuition, unlike US students, who are able to apply for financial aid depending on parental income. There are US colleges that give financial aid to international students, but you will need to target those specifically. Try A2C on the US Reddit site - there are a ton of international students there applying to US colleges that discuss this subject frequently. Also - if you're interested in studying abroad have a look at Canada - way cheaper, less politically volatile, probably better right now from a Covid situation too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (110)
39.01%
Take autumn exams (90)
31.91%
Look for a job (8)
2.84%
Consider an apprenticeship (9)
3.19%
Take a year out (47)
16.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
6.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed