The Student Room Group

How am I supposed to get a part time job as an Introvert?

I have applied to a lot of retail jobs and have only got a few interviews. I had a trial yesterday, which is the furthest I’ve got on the recruitment process!

I don’t think this trial went well. I have a lot of Social Anxiety and have never worked in retail. The job was advertised as a stock job but the store put me out on the floor and I had to greet customers.

This was really uncomfortable for me. I am not extroverted and I don’t like approaching people when I know that they want to be left alone. However, I felt under pressure to greet people.
I did greet a few people, only one responded to my question. One woman avoided me when I asked “would you like any help?” and looked at me like I was delusional which was hurtful, another pulled her mask up and blanked me when I spoke to her. A few others I tried to approach but they walked away when I went near them. So I just stopped talking to people.

Although the customers owe me nothing, I thought it was rude of them to ignore me when I greeted them. I was only doing what was asked of me.

I was also placed in the kids section which was a little awkward for a male.

Then I had to pick out an outfit for a formal event, there wasn’t much choice in terms of formal outfits. So I chose a dress with a jacket. I don’t think they were keen on it.

All in all it was uncomfortable and way beyond my comfort zone.

My main concern is, how am I going to get a part time job if this is what they expect of me? I mean what am I supposed to do if customers give me dirty looks?

I do not want to work out on the shop floor either, I applied for the job because it was a stock job.

I should say most jobs are retail in my locality.
Reply 1
Hi! I'm 18 and have had a job in a pub for just over a year (since Feb 2019), and from what you've said, I'd say I'm quite similar to you. The main reason I got mine was luck tbh. I'd tried loads of places at the time, including an interview at Subway which was unsuccessful. Chances are, if you try lots of places, you will eventually get lucky like me. I basically walked into a local pub having known barely anything about it, food, or customer service whatsoever (coincidentally it was the last place I'd planned on trying that day) and I can pretty much remember the entire conversation.

No exaggeration, this is how it went:
Me: Hi, can I speak to a manager or someone whose in charge of recruitment?
Manager: Yep that's me, come over to this table and we'll have a chat.
(We sat on a table and I gave him my CV)
Me: So I'm a student looking for a job at weekends or weekday evenings.
Manager: Okay, what are your long term career ideas?
Me: Ideally I'd want to be a pilot, or anything in aviation really.
Manager: (Reading CV) So you're 16, would this be your first job?
Me: Yeah it would.
Manager: Okay, we do have a vacancy, so you can come in tomorrow at 12 with your passport and national insurance number I'll add you to the system.
Me: Thank you.
I then visited the following day, with my passport and national insurance number, and he added my details to the computers, I completed the online training over the next week and had my first shift a couple of days after that first time I went in!

You'll certainly get there eventually. If I can do it, anyone can 😂
Hi, I consider myself to be quite introverted, I wouldn’t say socially anxious, but I’m not exactly comfortable talking to strangers! I first started working in a pub when I was sixteen and I found the first month or so really difficult. I would replay conversations that I had with customers over and over again in my head when I was trying to sleep at night, keeping me awake for hours. Sometimes I ended up sat crying back of house as between rude chefs and customers it was just too much for me. I really do feel for you as it was a horrible experience, but I am so glad that I carried on with it. It has given me so much confidence and I still can’t believe that I am actually now capable of talking to and dealing with strangers without wanting the ground to swallow me up.
People can and will be horrible, especially at the minute. I know that’s probably not what you want to hear but that’s the reality of it, you will find this in any costumer facing role. Retail is especially notorious!
If I were you I would keep going with applying for retail jobs. The key for me was to remember that it’s a job. I just had to pretend to be confident and that I didn’t want to be rude to people when they were rude to me for a few shifts a week. It will become second nature
Most jobs require communication with people whether that is co-workers, clients or customers you have to speak to people in the real world whether you like it or not this is something you will have to get use to. If you look at most student jobs they are either in retail, fast food restaurants, pubs/bars or reception/admin work and all require communicating with people.

Communication skill is an important skill most employers look for and you develop it by practising.

If you absolutely want to avoid speaking to many people then you should consider a cleaning job they pay the same wage you would get paid in other student jobs but there's less interaction with people. Although you won't develop many skills doing this compared with the other jobs but if it's money you require it will meet your needs.
Hey I understand your struggle. I have social anxiety and general anxiety and I found it very tricky coping in a work environment. My first job was at 16, back in December working as a pot wash for a local pub/restaurant. It was awful. The working conditions were bad and so was the pay. My first shift I had to bin dive, just to give you an example. I thought this was normal and I just had to suck it up and be grateful I found a job, even when I was paid peanuts. I quit after 4 shifts as it messed with my head too much. I didn’t like talking to my co workers and did the job in silence. They seemed to think I was incompetent and acted a bit passive aggressively so I quit early on to avoid the dread it was causing and how much it was impacting my studies at the time.
I then found a better job about a month ago which had better conditions and pay but it seemed as though I was let go. I had a panic attack on my first shift, so it was my fault I kinda blew it. I would’ve been more than happy to stay at this job though. I suppose the conditions are different for us since I am 17 and my parents still support me so I don’t exactly need to be working. Just my point is maybe a customer service job isn’t for you. Not everyone suits or is good at every job.
Once you get a job in which you have to work with many differently people, you adapt to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending