How is A-level Maths not an equivalant to GCSE Maths

Watch
bongo876
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
So I have an offer from this uni, I was told I would also need a GCSE in maths and English. I can understand the English one since I haven't done my GCSEs in the UK so I'm taking an English GCSE equivalence in a couple of days. But I absolutely don't understand the maths one since I already have an A in A-level maths (Edexcel) and a B in further maths (also Edexcel) and they're saying I would also need a C in GCSE maths. This doesn't make any sense. Can anyone else help?
Theloniouss
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Have you emailed or called them about it?
WassupLadz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by bongo876)
So I have an offer from this uni, I was told I would also need a GCSE in maths and English. I can understand the English one since I haven't done my GCSEs in the UK so I'm taking an English GCSE equivalence in a couple of days. But I absolutely don't understand the maths one since I already have an A in A-level maths (Edexcel) and a B in further maths (also Edexcel) and they're saying I would also need a C in GCSE maths. This doesn't make any sense. Can anyone else help?
That's weird, have u tried contacting the uni? If they say its compulsory, I guess you have no choice. But im 17 and can get 100% in GCSE in 10 mins, with A* in A level maths, so im pretty sure its going to be easy for you.
vix.xvi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
contact them, id say
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I've seen this happen before and it's generally caused because an application has been processed automatically or by someone who hasn't engaged their brain. I suggest that you contact them and (very politely) point out that you have A level Maths which proves you have ability far past GCSE and that surely you don't need to take GCSE? (It's worked on the 3 occasions I've seen it done for Maths or English Language.)
bongo876
Rep:
?
thanks for your reply. I have contacted them loads of times about it. The thing is depending on who's responding they all give different answers. some would say yeah it doesn't make sense we'll see if you don't require it (they never got back) and others would say yeah we understand its weird but it's compulsory (I have then been sent a link to register for the exams, I only registered for the English one, since I honestly can't understand the maths one plus it's another almost £100, It would obviously be pretty easy but tbf I just don't wanna pay for something as ridiculous as this)
Last edited by bongo876; 6 days ago
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by bongo876)
thanks for your reply. I have contacted them loads of times about it. The thing is depending on who's responding they all give different answers. some would say yeah it doesn't make sense we'll see if you don't require (they never got back) it and others would say yeah we understand its weird but it's compulsory (I was then been sent a link to register for the exams, I only registered for the English one, since I honestly can't understand the maths one plus it's another almost £100, It would obviously be pretty easy but tbf I just don't wanna pay for something as ridiculous as this)
Have you tried asking your 6th form if they would contact them - sometimes colleges are taken more seriously? (I have done it for a student who asked. For another student in a similar situation who was applying to a low ranking university I've also successfully tried the 'oh I'm very surprised, because (name of a couple of much higher ranking universities) were quite happy with this for another student'.

If you can't get a college/school involved then ask them (politely) for a reason why Maths A level is not acceptable: what makes it unsuitable? . Point out that the government has set up school league tables so a Level 3 qualification (e.g. AS level, A level) is automatically counted instead of a GCSE if a candidate has both.
bongo876
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
Have you tried asking your 6th form if they would contact them - sometimes colleges are taken more seriously? (I have done it for a student who asked. For another student in a similar situation who was applying to a low ranking university I've also successfully tried the 'oh I'm very surprised, because (name of a couple of much higher ranking universities) were quite happy with this for another student'.

If you can't get a college/school involved then ask them (politely) for a reason why Maths A level is not acceptable: what makes it unsuitable? . Point out that the government has set up school league tables so a Level 3 qualification (e.g. AS level, A level) is automatically counted instead of a GCSE if a candidate has both.
I haven't thought of asking the college actually thank you so much for that tip. I will write another 'polite' email and point out all the inconsistent answers I have been receiving from them along with the other great points u have raised here. thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (109)
38.79%
Take autumn exams (90)
32.03%
Look for a job (8)
2.85%
Consider an apprenticeship (9)
3.2%
Take a year out (47)
16.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
6.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed