Needshelpasap
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I did my exams online because of COVID. It was a very stressful time because I’m a high risk person, parents are essential workers and my own mental health issues (I never applied for extenuating circumstances because I was too uncomfortable to) These made me really struggle in my exams. Because Of COVID my uni will no longer be counting this year to our final grades. I really want to go into master after uni and I’m hoping to do a lot better next year. Will I be rejected from top unis because of my first year transcript or would they look passed it since this year no longer counts?
Last edited by Needshelpasap; 6 days ago
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Without registering for EC pre assessment, coupled with the fact that we all are going through Covid-19 I highly doubt they would look past any marks on your transcript. Being high risk doesn't really impact performance too I would have thought.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Really if your condition has affected you this much you should have applied for extenuating circumstances or DSA before now to cover stuff like this. Without any medical evidence you won't be given any concessions I wouldn't have thought.
Needshelpasap
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Really if your condition has affected you this much you should have applied for extenuating circumstances or DSA before now to cover stuff like this. Without any medical evidence you won't be given any concessions I wouldn't have thought.
I was diagnosed by a therapist a year ago and it’s on my GP records
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Needshelpasap)
But it would still be post hoc ECs even if the supporting documents were before the assessment. I’m sorry but it just doesn’t work that way
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Needshelpasap)
Then why didnt you tell the university and get extenuating circumstances before you submitted? The university wont have automatic access to your doctors notes, that would be a huge breach of patient confidentiality. It's tough luck at this stage to be honest, you should have sorted this before you submitted. Universities have already made concessions for the corona situation using no detriment policies, everyone in the country pretty much feels anxious about it. You could have claimed concessions for your MH condition as it is a diagnosed problem but since you failed to before submitting they won't do anything about it now.
Last edited by CoolCavy; 6 days ago
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It's complicated, but the short answer is they will take account of these grades.

If you do better in subsequent years then the impact is mitigated

If they deign to ask about the poor grades and you can explain, then impact might be mitigated

But really you need to register for ECs and sympathetic marking before assessment
Last edited by gjd800; 6 days ago
CardiganOfAngst
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
If you believe issues have affected/will affect exams results you should apply/submit for EC straight away, that way panel/exam boards can consider your circumstances during the relevant period of time.

Applying now will result & it’s likely your claimwill be rejected

*However*, at the university I work, students can retroactively apply for mitigating circumstances in the next academic year for a previous one, which might Might mean your exams results could be considered at classification. But you will have to check to see if that is the case.
Last edited by CardiganOfAngst; 6 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (110)
39.01%
Take autumn exams (90)
31.91%
Look for a job (8)
2.84%
Consider an apprenticeship (9)
3.19%
Take a year out (47)
16.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
6.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise