Worth getting a BMW Series 1 as a First Car under Motability for £3k?

Watch
AldenIsMe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hello all,
This is my first post, so sorry if I make any mistakes..
But I'm currently 16, turning 17 in February 2021. I was recently accepted for PIP with the higher mobility and personal allowance. I really wanted to get a BMW, because what other 16 year old doesn't.. but my question is about spending £3k upfront for it, when I don't even get to keep it at the end of the 3 years anyways.
My reasoning for getting a BMW and paying upfront, instead of getting a Nissan or something with NIL upfront is the following:
1. I'd enjoy a BMW more from the age 17-20 than I would, from like 20-23 years old.
2. I have extremely low confidence and I feel having a BMW, might help a bit?
3. I personally think that for £1k a year for a brand new BMW is pretty cool.. + I wouldn't want to let my Dad down because he said its a great car.

All I'm asking is the following:
1. From experience, would you recommend a BMW to help confidence, because I was thinking if I got a scratch on it, would it make me feel worse and would it be expensive to repair?
2. As I'm under 25, I can only get certain cars under the Motability scheme. So, would you recommend any other cars?
3. Would I lose more friends than I gain due to them being "jealous"?
4. Realistic Running costs a year on a BMW?
5. Is the Motability scheme any good? Because all I know is whats from the Car Sales Man.. Not the best person to talk to some times as all they want is money.

Thanks if any of you can help!!
Alden.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by AldenIsMe)
Hello all,
But I'm currently 16, turning 17 in February 2021. I was recently accepted for PIP with the higher mobility and personal allowance. I really wanted to get a BMW, because what other 16 year old doesn't.. but my question is about spending £3k upfront for it, when I don't even get to keep it at the end of the 3 years anyways.
My reasoning for getting a BMW and paying upfront, instead of getting a Nissan or something with NIL upfront is the following:
1. I'd enjoy a BMW more from the age 17-20 than I would, from like 20-23 years old.
3. I personally think that for £1k a year for a brand new BMW is pretty cool.. + I wouldn't want to let my Dad down because he said its a great car.

1. From experience, would you recommend a BMW to help confidence, because I was thinking if I got a scratch on it, would it make me feel worse and would it be expensive to repair?
2. As I'm under 25, I can only get certain cars under the Motability scheme. So, would you recommend any other cars?
5. Is the Motability scheme any good? Because all I know is whats from the Car Sales Man.. Not the best person to talk to some times as all they want is money.

Alden.
1) This is deeply personal. E.g. to me, a car is purely for transportation between A to B, it's not an extension of me and nor does it validate me in any way. But yes, you might be a bit more annoyed if you got a scratch on the car vs getting a cheapo car scratched.

2) Again, it's a personal question. Like I said, to me, a car is just basic transportation.

3) I doubt it. Your friends will probably ask you for lifts instead probably...

4) With a new car, I doubt you'll have to pay anything to maintain it, beyond usual yearly servicing which I believe is covered by your Motability payments anyway. Obviously, if you blow a tyre you will have to pay for that, but that's the same for any car really and nothing special just because it's a BMW.

5) Not sure, sorry.

You need to check how much it will cost to insure this BMW. Also, most people will tell you not to finance/buy a new car as a first car because you're more likely to damage it etc. However, it's your money, and you should spend it how you see fit/what will bring you maximum happiness. Don't settle for any car and end up getting buyers remorse.
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 4 days ago
Jang Gwangnam
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by AldenIsMe)
Hello all,

Alden.
1) It may or may not boost confidence, that's up to the eye of the beholder.

With regards to scratches, there's many different types, deep down to the bare metal/base paint scratches or deep clearcoat scratches. The former is something that'll cost you a lot depending on tbe depth and length of the scratch (est £300-400~), whereas the latter is a cheaper fix (est £60-80~).

2) Look for cars with better fuel economy and those that are known to be very durable builds (the Japanese brands come to mind).

3) You'll end up making more friends, but they'll just be fake friends that are sticking around you because you look loaded and have a nice whip.

4) A brand new car just needs a service every 6 months to double check the life of the wear & tear parts of the car. So depending on the repairs required it could be as low as £60 to £600~ depending on what parts are required and whether you get OEM parts (presuming you aren't going to the dealerships)

5) It's the first time I've heard of it myself (haven't got any disabled relatives or friends). So hopefully someone else can help inform you.

NOTE: The prices I've stated are just estimates, personally I do all of my own repairs so haven't got a clue what exorbitant prices garages and more so dealerships charge.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
3k is what maintenance and neccessary repairs might cost you.

The reason premium cars are sometimes so cheap, is that its expensive to keep them in shape, or put them back in shape. That's why some premium used cars cost as much as popular used citycars.

Whatever car you buy, you should always have at very least 1 grand in your pocket for maintenance and repairs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (32)
17.68%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
29.28%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (96)
53.04%

Watched Threads