Why am I paying more for organic produce?

Watch
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Why Do I have to pay more not to have crap added to stuff like apples ...?

My parents said, back in the day if you wanted extra crap added to your food you had to pay extra for it ... but now it seems things are in reverse..
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you don't add pesticides there is more insect damage, if you don't add artificial fertiliser then crop yields are lower, if you don't pump animals full of hormones they don't grow as big
nzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
According to Wikipedia,
Organic agriculture has a higher production costs and lower yields, higher labor costs, and higher consumer prices as compared to conventional farming methods.
As a consumer, you're just paying more for the environmental benefits.
ANM775
Rep:
?
(Original post by ReadingMum)
If you don't add pesticides there is more insect damage, if you don't add artificial fertiliser then crop yields are lower, if you don't pump animals full of hormones they don't grow as big
so it's greed basically.

due to advances in pesticides farmers realise they can get a higher yield by adding these things so if you want the produce without the added stuff they charge you extra for it to make up the amount they could have got for it with all that added crap included with the higher yield.

seems like advances in farming are hurting the nations health.
username5360040
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Much of the use of chemicals is meant to boost the efficiency of agriculture and lower the prices for those who cannot afford. And the increased efficiency always tends to make them cheaper the organic ones.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It's not organic stuff costing more really its mass produced stuff costing less. Stuff can be pumped out in huge quantities now and costs hardly anything (look at chicken for example), if you want higher quality and lower environmental damage like how farming was before mass production then it's going to cost similar amounts to how stuff was priced back then, before people got used to stuffing themselves with buckets of KFC.
If you dont want to pay the cost of organic then dont buy it, it's a free market.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Production costs are generally higher, yield quantities lower and trying to minimise the use of artificial fertilisers/pesticides/hormones can be quite labour intensive for farmers.

Are you a fan of Duchy Originals and organic British strawberries?
I grow some organic veg & herbs, try to buy organic fruit and meat whenever I can.
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ANM775)
so it's greed basically.

due to advances in pesticides farmers realise they can get a higher yield by adding these things so if you want the produce without the added stuff they charge you extra for it to make up the amount they could have got for it with all that added crap included with the higher yield.

It is wanting to earn the same from your land but using more environmentally sound practices. Basic economics. If you only get half as many apples in your crop then you need to charge twice as much for them to sustain your income. Some people are happy to pay for that - and for an apple that taste of apple and not water. If you are not prepared to pay the premium that is a direct result of the reduced yield then just stay with the mass produced stuff.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ANM775)
What evidence do you have that Organic produce is better for you? I haven't seen any.
ANM775
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
Production costs are generally higher, yield quantities lower and trying to minimise the use of artificial fertilisers/pesticides/hormones can be quite labour intensive for farmers.

Are you a fan of Duchy Originals and organic British strawberries?
I grow some organic veg & herbs, try to buy organic fruit and meat whenever I can.
I used to buy duchy originals about 15 years ago but haven't had them for a while. Haven't had strawberries for a while either and tbh i don't know if i'm going to eat them again after seeing that tik tok thing on them ... 🤢

(Original post by RogerOxon)
What evidence do you have that Organic produce is better for you? I haven't seen any.
I've heard that they generally have more nutrients, and saw an apple today saying organic apples have a better range of friendly bacteria than non organic ones and also contain less harmful bacteria
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (928)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.37%

Watched Threads