The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Mortar board or soft cap for Oxford?

I'm looking at the sub-fusc requirements for Uni of Oxford, and it says that there is a choice between soft caps and mortar boards and I don't know which one to get. I'm female, and honestly I'd rather get the same thing as everyone else. Which will more people be wearing? Also, which is the most popular neckwear? I was thinking of getting a black ribbon - is this what most others will be wearing?
I think, please don't quote me, but generally a mortar board is more popular, but then again isn't it dependant on college to college requirements. I didn't realise there was any other neck wear except black ribbon.
I think I may have seen like one or two people with the soft cap ever.

Mortar board and ribbon yes.
Reply 3
Another vote for mortar board and ribbon!! I’ve literally never seen a soft cap in person hahaha
Reply 4
Original post by EMD1607
I'm looking at the sub-fusc requirements for Uni of Oxford, and it says that there is a choice between soft caps and mortar boards and I don't know which one to get. I'm female, and honestly I'd rather get the same thing as everyone else. Which will more people be wearing? Also, which is the most popular neckwear? I was thinking of getting a black ribbon - is this what most others will be wearing?

Hi,

Really well done on getting in!

As a current student, I had no idea that a soft cap was a thing, and I’ve never seen one.

Another vote for the ribbon and mortar board from me.
Original post by EMD1607

About a thousand years ago we all wore caps: mortar boards were for the chaps. And soft caps are much more historical. We also wore ties, which is what the ribbon is a pretty-girl substitute for. Go for history! And it looks less random, too.

Latest