kiki.12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
hi, this year im applying for cambridge. i am aware of the whole confusing system with the application, and now it comes up about colleges. unfortunately i have to pick oly one out of all those amazing 31. i have read here and there, that it might be a little bit easier in some colleges than others. Of course for any of them hard work is the most important, but the thing is that i dont have a strong academic background(my GCSE are passes, just because i came to uk late). anyway i want to maximize my chances of getting in as much as possible. im aware that King's, St. John's and trinity are like the top ones. so if any of you know which ones are quite less competitive, please let me know. Btw the accommodation and location is not a problem for me at all. thanks in advance
username4955856
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
[wrong] You’ll pick one that you want to go to the most, but all colleges will be able to see your application and invite you to interview. In that sense [/wrong] there isn’t an “easiest” college to apply to. Which one you pick is completely down to personal preference: tutors, research, facilities, or even history and architecture.

Edit: I’ve been corrected, seems like Oxford and Cambridge do things more differently than I’ve been told by others. See below!
Last edited by username4955856; 3 days ago
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
For most subjects at Cambridge (all except Classics and Theology), you will only be interviewed at one College. If you choose a College to apply to, that is where you will be interviewed.

The Winter Pool (https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....ying/decisions scroll down) evens out applications so there aren't 'easier' and 'harder' Colleges to get into as such. Some Colleges consistently have a much higher ratio of applicants to places for certain subjects than others, but no College is uniformly harder to get into. Even where there are lots of applicants, they're not less likely to get into the university as a whole, because the pooling system evens that out.

As @island232 has said, choose the College you like most based on what it would be like to live there for three years. It will be your home and place of independent study for the time you are in Cambridge. However, Colleges are very similar and students who are pooled end up having a great time at the College which takes them, so don't worry about it too much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (6)
16.22%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (11)
29.73%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (20)
54.05%

Watched Threads