The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
one2three_abc
Yeah, that's 'Double Vee'

Not really a "W" sound though, is it :p:

Anyway, it's actually "Double U" as the original digraph in early usage of the letter was "uu"
Rei
Wait a minute, so for people who say "AITCH", would it be.. "Use an H".. or "Use a H"..

It goes by the sound doesn't it, so it would be an aitch.
Reply 22
Indievertigo
It goes by the sound doesn't it, so it would be an aitch.

Well that means.. when it's written on paper as.. Picked up a hat, you'd read it as... PICKED UP AN AT.
EvenStevens
Not really a "W" sound though, is it :p:

Anyway, it's actually "Double U" as the original digraph in early usage of the letter was "uu"

Yeah, I think it looks like a 'wuh' sound...:rolleyes:
With my accent we dont say it at all :-/. i come from a-wood, not heywood lol.

If i had to choose though it'd be heych
Reply 25
haitch! with an h! AN.
Reply 26
bellebaihe
haitch! with an h! AN.

Oh god, that's a confusing post.
Reply 27
Both. I randomly switch. :dontknow:
Rei
Well that means.. when it's written on paper as.. Picked up a hat, you'd read it as... PICKED UP AN AT.

Not really. For some words though, yes it is correct to drop the 'H,' such as hotel. An otel, the otel, is the correct way to pronounce it. Can't think of any more at the moment, but there are a few. As for when such a word is written incorrectly, so, 'a hotel,' I probably would pronounce it correctly, yes. I'd always write it properly myself, though.
Reply 29
EskimoJo
Both. I randomly switch. :dontknow:

So do I! :biggrin:
Well.. I was brought up to pronounce it 'the proper way' ie Aitch, but when I was in Junior school my best mate always called it Heych and was convinced this was the correct way of saying it and as a sresult I myself began calling it heych too without realising. Now, nearly at my 20s im still calling it heych.. though I sometimes correct myself after saying it
Reply 31
Heytch.
I sat here for 5 mins trying to figure out which one I say and just confused myself! :frown:
I figured it out finally though - Haych :p: :o:
Reply 33
eitch for me. i think as long as people can recognize what you say, you are fine.
Reply 34
bellebaihe
haitch! with an h! AN.

Hee hee! I understand this. I think mainly I say "a H" - so I mainly pronounce it haitch, but when I was checking just now (:o: ), "an H" also sounds pretty natural, so I must say both.
Reply 35
eych
Reply 36
Overground
Haitch. There's a H in it, see.

LOL...you think you're smart don't you? Very funny though
EvenStevens
*cough* ...W

yes, am aware of that, but it's double ewe!! (works for me!!)
Haye-ay-at-chhh
Rei
Wait a minute, so for people who say "AITCH", would it be.. "Use an H".. or "Use a H"..

What the hell do you think. :indiff:

Latest

Trending

Trending