The Student Room Group

degree results (grade)

Hi, I have just finished my degree in english lit and although I am happy (I got a 2:2 ) i really did want a 2:1 and worked harder in my third year. I'd like to appeal and was going to before for an essay, but didn't in the end. My percentages were 59.83% (60%) total for third year and 53.83% (54%) with 2nd year. Because I got a 2:1 in my third year just now I was wondering how far off I was from a 2:1 overall. 3rd year is weighted 2/3rd's of the degree and second year 1/3rd of the degree. I can give the full breakdown of modules if that's helpful but could someone help me calculate it really bad at maths! and used an online calculator for the percentages. thanks xx in my dissertation also I got 60% there were two parts to it this part weighted heavily at 80% and a portfolio weighted 20% i got 57%, really annoying that we had to have a portfolio at the start
Original post by oliviaoliviaaaaa
Hi, I have just finished my degree in english lit and although I am happy (I got a 2:2 ) i really did want a 2:1 and worked harder in my third year. I'd like to appeal and was going to before for an essay, but didn't in the end. My percentages were 59.83% (60%) total for third year and 53.83% (54%) with 2nd year. Because I got a 2:1 in my third year just now I was wondering how far off I was from a 2:1 overall. 3rd year is weighted 2/3rd's of the degree and second year 1/3rd of the degree. I can give the full breakdown of modules if that's helpful but could someone help me calculate it really bad at maths! and used an online calculator for the percentages. thanks xx in my dissertation also I got 60% there were two parts to it this part weighted heavily at 80% and a portfolio weighted 20% i got 57%, really annoying that we had to have a portfolio at the start

overall presuming they calculated it just from the total average it would be 57.8% overall.
Original post by claireestelle
overall presuming they calculated it just from the total average it would be 57.8% overall.m

my third year was 2/3rd weighted and my 2nd year 1/3 of my degree weighted, so with those percentages above my third year was weighted more heavily overall in my degree so i don't know if that's right x
my third year was 2/3rd weighted and my 2nd year 1/3 of my degree weighted, so with those percentages above my third year was weighted more heavily overall in my degree so i don't know if that's right x

surely it would be slightly higher because the third year was 2/3rd's worth?
surely it would be slightly higher because the third year was 2/3rd's worth?

so 2nd year makes up 33% of your grade= 0.33x53.83= 17.7 %
then 3rd year makes up 66% of your grades= 0.66x59.83= 39.5% then adding them together gives you 57.2% total (sorry i mistyped, originally).

From what claireestelle has rightly calculated, 57.2% is too far off a 2:1 to be rounded up. The university has to draw the line somewhere, so it's lucky that you're happy with your classification.

Quick Reply

Latest