Should I drop a subject if I am given a low predicted grade

Watch
thatbadstudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm studying maths further maths physics and chemistry, we had online exams in June where I got A*A*A*A but as many people cheated my sixth form isn't using those exams for predicted grades and we will be doing another set of exams in September.
I am quite confident that I will do just as well in the subjects I got A*s in but I was on the grade boundary for an A in chemistry, and have been working at a high B/low A throughout the year, so I was wondering if I did very badly in the upcoming test and was predicted a B would it make more sense to just drop the subject?
Emily5243
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What do you want to do in the future?
thatbadstudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Emily5243)
What do you want to do in the future?
maths
Emily5243
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by thatbadstudent)
maths
So chemistry is the least relevant subject out of the 4 you do. If you think that being predicted a B would hinder applications to uni, them it's probably best to drop chemistry if you do get predicted a B
Claydo66
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Firstly I wouldn’t call B a low grade.
Secondly most unis won’t require a 4th A level so unless you are wanting to do a degree that requires chemistry or is chemistry related, I would drop it. It will let you focus more on your other three and you can ensure you’ll get all 3 of your A*s if you’re striving for perfection.
Personally I wouldn’t let the predicted grade determine which subject I drop but rather the difficulty of the subject and the relevancy to my chosen degree. I dropped chemistry and now do maths, physics and bio as I can get into an engineering course no problem with those A levels and chemistry was just too tricky for me. It is supposed to be one of the hardest A levels and many students have a similar experience.
Willwater1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I mean an A or B either way if a good grade and the fact that you do 4 A levels and have managed to stay on top of it is great anyway .
Most universities will only ask for 3 grades anyway so you don't need to do chemistry , but I dont see a reason to drop it unless you can't cope with doing 4 a levels 😊
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Dont waste your time taking a 4th subjects. Nearly all universities will accept you with 3 and for Maths look at Maths and sometimes FM.
MadMathsMum
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just make sure that whatever course that you want to do at uni accepts Maths and FM as 2 Levels.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MadMathsMum)
Just make sure that whatever course that you want to do at uni accepts Maths and FM as 2 Levels.
All Maths degrees will accept Maths and fm as 2 separate subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.73%
Confident (14)
9.46%
Indifferent (15)
10.14%
Unsure (34)
22.97%
Worried (78)
52.7%

Watched Threads