Which Physio course is best for me? MMU or UCLAN?

Watch
EmilyAnne93
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm a mature student who already has A Level results applying through clearing for Bsc Physiotherapy. Both unis have openings for clearing, so I will contact them soon to discuss availability and if they can take me, but if i get the choice between the two I'm wondering which one to go for.

According to MMU's course website for physio the first year breaks down into Physiotherapy Management: Musculoskeletal, Physiotherapy Management: Cardiorespiratory, and Physiotherapy Management: Neurology, as well as a practice placement, and foundations of health, social care, and professional practice.

UCLAN's first year of the physio course breaks down into anatomy, research methods and evidence based practice, culture and context of physiotherapy practice- which includes 7 days of placement, exercise in rehabiliation, physiology and pathology, plus physiotherapeutic skills. Then in the second year it seems to touch more on musculoskeletal, neurology and cardiorespiratory.

I'm leaning more towards MMU as it seems like you'd get 'stuck in' from the first year. I originally began Bsc Speech Therapy at Cardiff Metropolitan quite a few years ago and found the first year was mainly an introduction to the different conditions you might encounter in the career plus a lot of theory regarding linguistics and anatomy. I enquired with MMU if I could transfer to the Speech Therapy course there from second year, because its closer to home, and when I interviewed with them they found that I wouldn't be able to join a second year of the course at MMU because what the course covered from first year was already too different from what I had covered at Cardiff. For example, one of the deciding questions was if I would be confident conducting a motor assessment of the oral cavity for a stammer client, which I couldn't. This already struck me as being a hands on way of delivering course, and made me think that their way of teaching might have suited me better in the first place. After quitting uni for various reasons and gaining a few years of different experience, I've decided on physiotherapy as the right career for me. Since the two courses are part of the same health school at MMU I imagine that their method of getting stuck in through the speech therapy course might be similar in the physio course.

Does anybody have any experience of studying physio at either of those universities, or maybe at a different uni that has a similar structure to one of the courses? Is there any particular course structure that looks better at first glance?
Coreyx_x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm mature student too. I also struggling with these two University, does anyone can share your experience?
UCLan Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by EmilyAnne93)
I'm a mature student who already has A Level results applying through clearing for Bsc Physiotherapy. Both unis have openings for clearing, so I will contact them soon to discuss availability and if they can take me, but if i get the choice between the two I'm wondering which one to go for.

According to MMU's course website for physio the first year breaks down into Physiotherapy Management: Musculoskeletal, Physiotherapy Management: Cardiorespiratory, and Physiotherapy Management: Neurology, as well as a practice placement, and foundations of health, social care, and professional practice.

UCLAN's first year of the physio course breaks down into anatomy, research methods and evidence based practice, culture and context of physiotherapy practice- which includes 7 days of placement, exercise in rehabiliation, physiology and pathology, plus physiotherapeutic skills. Then in the second year it seems to touch more on musculoskeletal, neurology and cardiorespiratory.

I'm leaning more towards MMU as it seems like you'd get 'stuck in' from the first year. I originally began Bsc Speech Therapy at Cardiff Metropolitan quite a few years ago and found the first year was mainly an introduction to the different conditions you might encounter in the career plus a lot of theory regarding linguistics and anatomy. I enquired with MMU if I could transfer to the Speech Therapy course there from second year, because its closer to home, and when I interviewed with them they found that I wouldn't be able to join a second year of the course at MMU because what the course covered from first year was already too different from what I had covered at Cardiff. For example, one of the deciding questions was if I would be confident conducting a motor assessment of the oral cavity for a stammer client, which I couldn't. This already struck me as being a hands on way of delivering course, and made me think that their way of teaching might have suited me better in the first place. After quitting uni for various reasons and gaining a few years of different experience, I've decided on physiotherapy as the right career for me. Since the two courses are part of the same health school at MMU I imagine that their method of getting stuck in through the speech therapy course might be similar in the physio course.

Does anybody have any experience of studying physio at either of those universities, or maybe at a different uni that has a similar structure to one of the courses? Is there any particular course structure that looks better at first glance?
Hi EmilyAnne93 and Coreyx_x,
Choosing the right uni for you is very important! Here is a little more information on about our course that will hopefully help you make your decision.

Physiotherapy at UCLan is very much ‘hands-on’ in the first year, and there is a strong focus on foundation practical skills in the first year, within the modules the candidate lists. The cohort also goes out on placement in the second semester of their first year.

Even within the context of COVID19, we will have a strong focus on face to face practical elements in the first year (with necessary PPE and environmental adaptations). The team at UCLan strongly believe that a physiotherapy course should be aligned to ‘hands-on’ elements where students can get ‘stuck in’. Plus, we are in a strong position when it comes to placements for students and have been recently scored 100% in our NSS this year.

Hope this helps a little!

Catherine
EmilyAnne93
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by UCLan Ambassador)
Hi EmilyAnne93 and Coreyx_x,
Choosing the right uni for you is very important! Here is a little more information on about our course that will hopefully help you make your decision.

Physiotherapy at UCLan is very much ‘hands-on’ in the first year, and there is a strong focus on foundation practical skills in the first year, within the modules the candidate lists. The cohort also goes out on placement in the second semester of their first year.

Even within the context of COVID19, we will have a strong focus on face to face practical elements in the first year (with necessary PPE and environmental adaptations). The team at UCLan strongly believe that a physiotherapy course should be aligned to ‘hands-on’ elements where students can get ‘stuck in’. Plus, we are in a strong position when it comes to placements for students and have been recently scored 100% in our NSS this year.

Hope this helps a little!

Catherine
Thanks UCLan Ambassador that does help a lot!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.61%
Confident (14)
9.21%
Indifferent (16)
10.53%
Unsure (35)
23.03%
Worried (80)
52.63%

Watched Threads