louise18152
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I need help what should I do in prep for a levels maths because I feel like I have missed so much with quarantine
bluebeetle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by louise18152)
I need help what should I do in prep for a levels maths because I feel like I have missed so much with quarantine
I would recommend to check with your sixth form / college to see if they have set any summer homework or online material to help prepare for A-level maths. Quite a few do do this, and if they do, it'll cover the essential material

If there's nothing like that, a good thing to do would perhaps be to download the past papers for one year (preferably a set you haven't yet done) and go through, noting down any topics where you lose marks. You can focus your revision on these topics.

My recommendation for skills to refine (and skills that appear on our school's A-level preparation material) are:
- solve equations involving brackets
- complete the square
- factorise into double brackets
- solve equations involving algebraic fractions
- solve equations with unknowns on both sides
- solve equations involving square/cube rooting
- solve linear inequalities
- surds
- finding the equation of a straight line given two points or gradient and a point
- having an idea of what a graph will look like from its equation (e.g. for y = 1/x, for y = x^3)
- function notation
- knowing sin / cos / tan graphs and understanding why they look that way
louise18152
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by bluebeetle)
I would recommend to check with your sixth form / college to see if they have set any summer homework or online material to help prepare for A-level maths. Quite a few do do this, and if they do, it'll cover the essential material

If there's nothing like that, a good thing to do would perhaps be to download the past papers for one year (preferably a set you haven't yet done) and go through, noting down any topics where you lose marks. You can focus your revision on these topics.

My recommendation for skills to refine (and skills that appear on our school's A-level preparation material) are:
- solve equations involving brackets
- complete the square
- factorise into double brackets
- solve equations involving algebraic fractions
- solve equations with unknowns on both sides
- solve equations involving square/cube rooting
- solve linear inequalities
- surds
- finding the equation of a straight line given two points or gradient and a point
- having an idea of what a graph will look like from its equation (e.g. for y = 1/x, for y = x^3)
- function notation
- knowing sin / cos / tan graphs and understanding why they look that way
OK thanks so much for the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (117)
25.22%
Better than expected (96)
20.69%
Worse than expected (251)
54.09%

Watched Threads