Course requires 6 in maths, I’m getting a 5

Watch
Osmundhunter
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I want to do triple science at A-Level but the minimum requirements are 6 in science (I got) and 6 in maths. However, I only did foundation maths so I could only get a 5 max. Would they still let me do it since I got quite good grades in every other subject? (apart from maths of course)
Claydo66
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Osmundhunter)
I want to do triple science at A-Level but the minimum requirements are 6 in science (I got) and 6 in maths. However, I only did foundation maths so I could only get a 5 max. Would they still let me do it since I got quite good grades in every other subject? (apart from maths of course)
Contact then and see. Some colleges are flexible if you get good grades in the other subjects (sciences)
My friend failed his art GCSE but his sixth form still took him on to do A level art, despite not meeting the grade requirements. He had like a trial period to prove he could work hard and if so he could stay on. He is incredibly talented I don’t really know how he ever failed his art gcse.
If you contact them regarding there is a possibility they may be flexible. It’s worth a try at least
apolaroidofus
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They may well do. My college, for example, has seemingly strict entry requirements on their website but in practice they're quite relaxed - an example I can remember off the top of my head is that one of my sister's friends wanted to do biology, chemistry and physics but the college states that all physics students must also study A-Level maths. They let her in with those options (though she does have to have an extra hour of maths for physics classes each week). Not quite the same situation, but it shows that colleges can be flexible. The only way you'll find out is if you ask the college!
Osmundhunter
Rep:
?
(Original post by Claydo66)
Contact then and see. Some colleges are flexible if you get good grades in the other subjects (sciences)
My friend failed his art GCSE but his sixth form still took him on to do A level art, despite not meeting the grade requirements. He had like a trial period to prove he could work hard and if so he could stay on. He is incredibly talented I don’t really know how he ever failed his art gcse.
If you contact them regarding there is a possibility they may be flexible. It’s worth a try at least
Thank you so much it’s calmed my months long nerves. That’s a good idea I will thanks again!
Osmundhunter
Rep:
?
(Original post by apolaroidofus)
They may well do. My college, for example, has seemingly strict entry requirements on their website but in practice they're quite relaxed - an example I can remember off the top of my head is that one of my sister's friends wanted to do biology, chemistry and physics but the college states that all physics students must also study A-Level maths. They let her in with those options (though she does have to have an extra hour of maths for physics classes each week). Not quite the same situation, but it shows that colleges can be flexible. The only way you'll find out is if you ask the college!
Thank you for the advice and the example too that’s a good idea I’ll contact them now. Cheers!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (118)
25.27%
Better than expected (97)
20.77%
Worse than expected (252)
53.96%

Watched Threads