I have no motivation to do college work

Watch
ewpfs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've always been a very academically minded student. I've had a lot of pressure put on me all my life and I've always lived up to it. I was Head Boy, Debate Captain, all that nerdy stuff that everyone hates.

I swept up at GCSEs with 9s and 8s. Started college in September and got A*s in all my baseline assessments, had teachers congratulating me all over the place.

Now I'm at the end of Yr 12 and failing. Suffered with family issues, mental health issues, and I'm now extremely behind. I just don't have the motivation in me anymore to do any pf the work. I'm no longer interested, I just want to stay in bed all day.

So.... what do I do now?
vix.xvi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
take a break
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
I agree with the above user. Take some time away and watch things you like/listen to music. Do not think about your work-you need to be totally distracted or it's not rest. Then go back to it
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It sounds like you're suffering from burn-out.
I would strongly suggest you take a break for a few days or even a week or so. Do things that excite you, things that you find fun or relaxing.
When you're feeling refreshed, consider making a timetable for yourself and get back into the routine of doing some light studying to catch up with anything you feel you're behind on.

Use your past academic achievements to motivate you - you've worked so hard up until now, so don't lose it all now. Take a well-deserved break and come back and smash those A Levels.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ewpfs)
I've always been a very academically minded student. I've had a lot of pressure put on me all my life and I've always lived up to it. I was Head Boy, Debate Captain, all that nerdy stuff that everyone hates.

I swept up at GCSEs with 9s and 8s. Started college in September and got A*s in all my baseline assessments, had teachers congratulating me all over the place.

Now I'm at the end of Yr 12 and failing. Suffered with family issues, mental health issues, and I'm now extremely behind. I just don't have the motivation in me anymore to do any pf the work. I'm no longer interested, I just want to stay in bed all day.

So.... what do I do now?
Hey. Hope you're doing alright - you need to look after your health and wellbeing. It's clear you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself which isn't doing you any good and I'm sorry to hear about your other circumstances. Take a well-deserved break and take time to reset things it should really help with your current situation.

As for your academic situation, there's nothing wrong with repeating the year if that is necessary and the right thing to do. Obviously, you've mentioned above that you have extenuating circumstances and that's definitely something your teacher(s) can mention when they write your UCAS reference so the unis you're applying to are aware. There's a lot of contextual offer schemes for unis if you aren't aware which takes things like extenuating circumstances to account so I would highly recommend you take advantage of that.

Hope this helps and take care!
ewpfs
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
It sounds like you're suffering from burn-out.
I would strongly suggest you take a break for a few days or even a week or so. Do things that excite you, things that you find fun or relaxing.
When you're feeling refreshed, consider making a timetable for yourself and get back into the routine of doing some light studying to catch up with anything you feel you're behind on.

Use your past academic achievements to motivate you - you've worked so hard up until now, so don't lose it all now. Take a well-deserved break and come back and smash those A Levels.
Thank you. I know your advice is right, but it's hard to put into practice as if I have a break I'll end up having even less time to finish all my overdue work and that'll be so stressful. I really don't want to start Yr13 with leftover Yr12 work
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ewpfs)
Thank you. I know your advice is right, but it's hard to put into practice as if I have a break I'll end up having even less time to finish all my overdue work and that'll be so stressful. I really don't want to start Yr13 with leftover Yr12 work
What kind of work do you have left? In your position, I would think about how much work you have, and how much time is required to complete it in a way which wouldn't further detriment your state of mind. If you want, I can give you some revision or study tips?

I can relate to you because I also was a high academic achiever under pressure to consistently get A*s and at times it did feel like too much - but I found out that pressing on would be more damaging than beneficial. Don't think about a break as "less time to get the work done" but more akin to letting your brain rest for a while. When it's refreshed, you'll have a much greater capacity to take in the knowledge you need and are a lot more likely to study efficiently than you would if you were to force yourself to do it all now.
ewpfs
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
What kind of work do you have left? In your position, I would think about how much work you have, and how much time is required to complete it in a way which wouldn't further detriment your state of mind. If you want, I can give you some revision or study tips?

I can relate to you because I also was a high academic achiever under pressure to consistently get A*s and at times it did feel like too much - but I found out that pressing on would be more damaging than beneficial. Don't think about a break as "less time to get the work done" but more akin to letting your brain rest for a while. When it's refreshed, you'll have a much greater capacity to take in the knowledge you need and are a lot more likely to study efficiently than you would if you were to force yourself to do it all now.
It's all just assignments that I've accumulated over the lockdown online learning time. All just Yr12 content (no assessments or essays as they were all stopped due to corona)
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ewpfs)
It's all just assignments that I've accumulated over the lockdown online learning time. All just Yr12 content (no assessments or essays as they were all stopped due to corona)
How would you rate those assignments in terms of difficulty? Are they difficult and would require extensive research, okay with some research required or easy with all information being gleaned from textbooks?

How much assignments do you need to complete?

Thinking about this can help you tackle each assignment in a timely and organised way so that they don't all feel like they're coming up all at once. Your school term probably starts in September. I myself am aiming to revise 3 years worth of content in the space of a month before the new academic year starts, and I find taking it one step at a time helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads