approaching strangers in public how often do you do it?

Watch
bvllvh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm trying to work on my social skill and wanted to know if its okay or creepy and to randomly try talk to someone I wouldn't know? since lock-down has made me a complete recluse.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well, it depends on the context. I wouldn't walk up to someone randomly and start talking to them. Maybe every once in a while say 'hope you have a good day' to a few people.
khadijaaaxxxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
it might be a bit weird if you just walk up to a random person and talk to them, since you don't really know eachother. you could try going to fitness classes or social clubs and meet friends there.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Go for it! As someone who used to be so quiet, I got my dog and it helped massively. Try little things like if you're in a shop and are unsure of something, ask someone-anyone! I was in Primark Christmas time and approached a stranger to ask if the slippers I was holding were cats or rabbits haha. The way I see it-they are just people. If they are rude then oh well, idc. I've been nice-they are the *******. I've never had this though-I've had people try and talk down to me but that's it. Go for it Tell a stranger you like their dog etc
Hellohsjakodsmka
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Public? I don't leave the house :hide:
bvllvh
Rep:
?
(Original post by khadijaaaxxxx)
it might be a bit weird if you just walk up to a random person and talk to them, since you don't really know eachother. you could try going to fitness classes or social clubs and meet friends there.h
How about I ask for them to take a pic of me? then engage small talk afterwards? rn there arent really any clubs going on tbh

(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Well, it depends on the context. I wouldn't walk up to someone randomly and start talking to them. Maybe every once in a while say 'hope you have a good day' to a few people.
I don't have much of a choice cause of lock down most places shut down

(Original post by Anonymous)
Go for it! As someone who used to be so quiet, I got my dog and it helped massively. Try little things like if you're in a shop and are unsure of something, ask someone-anyone! I was in Primark Christmas time and approached a stranger to ask if the slippers I was holding were cats or rabbits haha. The way I see it-they are just people. If they are rude then oh well, idc. I've been nice-they are the *******. I've never had this though-I've had people try and talk down to me but that's it. Go for it Tell a stranger you like their dog etc
Reading that makes me nervous but ig Ill try that sometime lol
khadijaaaxxxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by bvllvh)
How about I ask for them to take a pic of me? then engage small talk afterwards? rn there arent really any clubs going on tbh

I don't have much of a choice cause of lock down most places shut down

Reading that makes me nervous but ig Ill try that sometime lol
i mean, yeah why not ahah.
seems like a good way to start a conversation (:
bvllvh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hellohsjakodsmka)
I've lived that lifestyle and honestly it made me depressed💀 but at least if you still have your social skills you should be fine
vix.xvi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
never tbh
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Never, unless I am in dire need E.G. need someone to call an ambulance
Hellohsjakodsmka
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've lived that lifestyle and honestly it made me depressed💀 but at least if you still have your social skills you should be fine
*nervous sweating*
Geraldthegoat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No it’s not weird if u need help or something like that, I only do it if I am lost or I need help in a store from one of the workers. But don’t go up to people to make friends like that tho
bvllvh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Geraldthegoat)
No it’s not weird if u need help or something like that, I only do it if I am lost or I need help in a store from one of the workers. But don’t go up to people to make friends like that tho
how do u suggest I meet new people? other than uni clubs and pubs
laura.barrett13
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
well randomly approaching a stranger for no reason is a bit strange! but if you are in a coffee shop or clothes shop where you could have small talk about something like what they chose to drink or general conversation, then that's fine. or if you're waiting in a queue and like that person's top you could give a compliment depends on how confident you are. it's always best to be friendly and have small talk as it builds your social skills but do whatever you're comfortable with if they seem approachable of course. if they are giving you looks then avoid that person fr
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Hellohsjakodsmka)
Not even to shop for biscoff spread? Or have you got a supermarket delivery slot just for that?
laura.barrett13
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
how do u suggest I meet new people? other than uni clubs and pubs?
coffee shop? sometimes it quite hard to meet new people igy but what about friends of friends?????
bvllvh
Rep:
?
(Original post by laura.barrett13)
coffee shop? sometimes it quite hard to meet new people igy but what about friends of friends?????
all my friends left. so that isnt an option....and in coffee shops people tend to mind their own business too but Ill try that too
Max1989
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I (pre covid) regularly would say hi and try to strike up conversations with strangers, mainly just in the park e.g. if an old man/women were just sitting alone in the park I'd just go up to them and say hi, if I get a hi back I proceed to ask how they are and just have a short conversation with them. As I went through a time where a simple hi from someone would of made my day, well actually it'd still make my day, but loneliness is a serious problem especially amongst the elderly so I try and make people feel noticed, to feel like someone cares about them, it's just a kind gesture.
I'm not actually that confident just I know first hand the benefit it can create so that is what drives me to do it.

I'd never do this to try and do more than small talk though.
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Might be a bit awkward to go up to someone and just start chatting :lol:
Ive met and have had nice conversations with quite a few people on buses, though
megan_e
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
When i'm in a weird mood i wave and smile at random people, sometimes people look at me strangely because of it lol but occasionally there are fun conversations.
Other than that i avoid people like the plague.
Last edited by megan_e; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (118)
25.21%
Better than expected (97)
20.73%
Worse than expected (253)
54.06%

Watched Threads