LLBStudent2021
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,

I’m applying to study the LLB in 2021 and have narrowed my three favourites down to Durham, Bristol and Exeter. People have told me there isn’t much difference in terms of reputation so I’m trying to not think of that but have made some pros and cons for each. Any advice or personal anecdotes would be greatly appreciated!

Durham:

Pros:

• Love the collegiate system; it feels very “family”
• Beautiful city with the river
• Very well regarded law course
• Quaint

Cons:

• Quite isolated
• Not very diverse
• Lack of things to do from a social perspective
• Far away from London

Bristol:

• Great student city that is fun to live in
• Nightlife, activities all amazing
• Diverse
• Great law course with good year abroad opportunities

Cons:

• Not a campus
• Everything is quite spread out
• Expensive
• Some accommodation is far away from everything

Exeter:

Pros:

• Lovely campus
• Perfect size city
• Good location and short journeys to the beach
• Great year abroad opportunities

Cons:

• Not quite as good reputation as the other two?
• Lack of diversity
• Quite expensive

Any feedback is appreciated!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by LLBStudent2021)
Hi,

I’m applying to study the LLB in 2021 and have narrowed my three favourites down to Durham, Bristol and Exeter. People have told me there isn’t much difference in terms of reputation so I’m trying to not think of that but have made some pros and cons for each. Any advice or personal anecdotes would be greatly appreciated!

Durham:

Pros:

• Love the collegiate system; it feels very “family”
• Beautiful city with the river
• Very well regarded law course
• Quaint

Cons:

• Quite isolated
• Not very diverse
• Lack of things to do from a social perspective
• Far away from London

Bristol:

• Great student city that is fun to live in
• Nightlife, activities all amazing
• Diverse
• Great law course with good year abroad opportunities

Cons:

• Not a campus
• Everything is quite spread out
• Expensive
• Some accommodation is far away from everything

Exeter:

Pros:

• Lovely campus
• Perfect size city
• Good location and short journeys to the beach
• Great year abroad opportunities

Cons:

• Not quite as good reputation as the other two?
• Lack of diversity
• Quite expensive

Any feedback is appreciated!
Do you have offers from all three and your results?
They are all good, but I would put Durham in front.

In any event you have done more than most by looking at pros and cons.
Have you or will you go to open days?
That might make it easier as its not what we think is importnat, but the place that meets your criteria and where you feel you fit.
Euphoria101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
They're all very different areas/environments. I'd choose Durham/Bristol, but in terms of 'rep' or whatever, you wouldn't be at a disadvantage if you choose Exeter tbh.
FRS500
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
They're all wildly different universities in wildly different cities with wildly similar great prospects.
Arisapo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
From what you’ve said, Exeter appears to have the biggest plus points.

You seem to want a campus, you say it’s the perfect size and the location/being relatively close to London seems a bonus.

Durham is probably less pricey than the other two, but don’t think either Exeter or Bristol are astronomical, Bristol probably more so.

Diversity seems to be a concern; to be frank, all three are mainly white, middle-class institutions, which you could say for all RGs. Bristol will have more diversity, but don’t know if that’ll be drastic.

I wouldn’t say Exeter is less reputable than the other two; even if it’s the case, the difference is marginal.

I’d research a bit more and see what you fancy, but Exeter appears to have more positives than the other two.
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Arisapo)
From what you’ve said, Exeter appears to have the biggest plus points.

You seem to want a campus, you say it’s the perfect size and the location/being relatively close to London seems a bonus.

Durham is probably less pricey than the other two, but don’t think either Exeter or Bristol are astronomical, Bristol probably more so.

Diversity seems to be a concern; to be frank, all three are mainly white, middle-class institutions, which you could say for all RGs. Bristol will have more diversity, but don’t know if that’ll be drastic.

I wouldn’t say Exeter is less reputable than the other two; even if it’s the case, the difference is marginal.

I’d research a bit more and see what you fancy, but Exeter appears to have more positives than the other two.
I agree OP seems to want to attend Exeter more, and you make a good point in that most RGs especially for law tend to be middle-class and white dominated.

As a brown person, this is a concern but I think unless we're talking about a university like QMUL/Manchester where they're likely to be much more diverse, we shouldn't let lack of diversity stop us from attending.

(Also Arisapo it won't let me rep you for some reason, doesn't say PRSOM but doesn't click)
Arisapo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Euphoria101)
I agree OP seems to want to attend Exeter more, and you make a good point in that most RGs especially for law tend to be middle-class and white dominated.

As a brown person, this is a concern but I think unless we're talking about a university like QMUL/Manchester where they're likely to be much more diverse, we shouldn't let lack of diversity stop us from attending.

(Also Arisapo it won't let me rep you for some reason, doesn't say PRSOM but doesn't click)
No problem!

And based on their points, a campus in a small city seems to tick the boxes, so I’d opt for Exeter, but they have to do more of their own research and come to a consensus.

Not just for Law, but RG unis are predominately going to be attended by white, middle-class students. You shouldn’t let this deter you, as there are so many societies that focus on different ethnic groups, and they’re all trying to do more for BAME students.

However, you’re right in saying that London based unis, Manchester and Birmingham are likely to have more diversity; if that’s an important factor for you, then it’s worth considering.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I have been getting that issue too lately with repping people - I think it might be that silly banner on the top of the page that stops PRSOM from popping up - not sure :dontknow:
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
They are very different places as has been noted. I have visited the North East in winter and the thing I noticed most was how early it got dark, and of course the lower temperatures. That would put me off Durham to be honest.
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
I have been getting that issue too lately with repping people - I think it might be that silly banner on the top of the page that stops PRSOM from popping up - not sure :dontknow:
Oh that makes sense! Damn I was clicking the rep button for like 2947 minutes😳
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Oh that makes sense! Damn I was clicking the rep button for like 2947 minutes😳
:rofl:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (513)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.25%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (311)
20.46%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed