I’m a Royal Mail Casual Worker - AMA!

Watch
RMCasual
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi guys

I’m a regular forumite on TSR and noticed an uptick in AMA’s.

Thought I’d do one for anyone who’s interested!

Having been booted out of my usual day job due to furlough, I’ve decided to rack up a few extra quid to my salary and find something to do with myself with Royal Mail.

I’ve noticed a couple of threads in the past where people ask lots of questions about casual work with the RM.

Particularly Christmas and now (there’s loads of COVID shifts depending on which Mail Centre/Delivery Office you join)

So here goes... ask me anything 🧐
RMCasual
Rep:
?
I’ll be as honest and candid as possible but obviously cannot divulge anything too personal/secure. Hence the secondary account.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Have you heard any complaints from posties about unpleasant encounters with cats, horses, poultry or exotic pets?
All animals except dogs.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What's the process like to join?
Stb1750
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I assume with casual working they will be student friendly?
Gary White
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
RM would class this as whistlblowing but a lot of ex-convicts and people leaving young offenders get jobs there and i'd be very careful, just take a look at your postman and it's not good on a CV because of the pilfering that goes on.

I know this might seem harsh but be very careful some of the ex-convicts have been inside for nasty crimes.
Take care.
RMCasual
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
Have you heard any complaints from posties about unpleasant encounters with cats, horses, poultry or exotic pets?
All animals except dogs.
Haha I've not actually spoken to any posties yet! I might keep an eye out
(Original post by CoolCavy)
What's the process like to join?
It's pretty straightforward but long at the same time! I joined up right in the middle of COVID so it probably took a lot longer than it should have.

- Signed up at the Angard Staffing website and gave the usual biographic info - personal deets; work history and two references.

- Hell of a lot of waiting around and then got an offer pretty much. Moved onto Royal Mail vetting. They gather your references and do a DBS check. They'll ask for a couple more details and copies of your identity documents and proof of address.

- Get your contract and submit a photo for your ID

- Your 'consultant' from Angard should then be in touch to discuss booking you in for an induction shift. It's an hour of H&S and manual handling stuff. Get paid for the hour too!

You'll be signed up to the JoinedUp platform where you can book shifts
(Original post by Stb1750)
I assume with casual working they will be student friendly?
Pretty much! You can work as much or as little as you like, I've not done much thus far but starting to pick up more and more shifts now while I can.

There's earlies; lates and various types of night shifts that you can do.

You get a text and an email when the shifts are up, usually it's for the same day or the day after (depends on your Mail Centre and how they request staff from Angard).

Respond to the message and hopefully if picked, that's you in.

There's a lot of different shifts up for grabs, it usually helps to respond as soon as possible but generally they do just pick people at random. - There's no order of response but obviously once it's gone it's gone!

Angard are the agency who recruit casuals on behalf of RM. Generally an MC has a target of no more than 40% of it's manpower at any one time to be casuals. If it touches this figure or exceeds it then generally they should probably hire part time or full time staff directly. Hence why there may be a bit of a scramble for shifts.
(Original post by Gary White)
RM would class this as whistlblowing but a lot of ex-convicts and people leaving young offenders get jobs there and i'd be very careful, just take a look at your postman and it's not good on a CV because of the pilfering that goes on.

I know this might seem harsh but be very careful some of the ex-convicts have been inside for nasty crimes.
Take care.
Personally I cannot comment on this either way. I've not had an issue with my postie AFAIK and also I don't know the history behind anybody I work with/ come across on shift. I can only take people as they come.

If they've had a difficult past or whichever, can only hope they look past it and change.
Gary White
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
all I'm saying is if Royal Mail want to employee young people/students they need to provide a safe environment for them and I don't think they can.
boyiw
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got job but still waiting for induction they said I'm on waiting list
Crawford2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How was the interview? A few years ago, I applied to work for RM, but failed the interview.
boyiw
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Angard staffing no interview
Londonsfinest
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I applied months ago but I've been waiting for them to finish the security check since late August
issawrap
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I applied almost a month ago and haven't got any response - is there a way to contact them?
Ivartheboneless
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by issawrap)
I applied almost a month ago and haven't got any response - is there a way to contact them?
Nah it's probably in the post 🙄
boyiw
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Phoned them up and they said I am on a waiting list for job Induction 🤦*♂️
issawrap
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Still haven't been responded to - it's been exactly a month now
boyiw
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by issawrap)
Still haven't been responded to - it's been exactly a month now
Dame
route255
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ive apllied direct a few times for posty with delivery role. Keep getting knocked back, I wonder because its my lack of van driving experience?
boyiw
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by boyiw)
Phoned them up and they said I am on a waiting list for job Induction 🤦*♂️
Had my induction today man am tired af
SilentZero
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm 15 but become 16 in January. Can I apply as a Christmas Casual even though I don't have a NI number?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (484)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (598)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (297)
20.55%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (66)
4.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed