The Student Room Group

is uni all it seems to be?

Scroll to see replies

I've just finished first year and for me, the experience was pretty similar to that in the movies. But I did put in lot of effort into making sure me and my friends went out regularly (1-2 times a week) and just maintaining a good social life whether that be inside or outside, it doesn't matter.
With me, I like to keep a small friendship group so I had 2 good friends on my course and 2 good friends from my flat and then 2 good friends from other accomodations/ courses. I only really had about 6 people that I regularly hung out with (not all together because they didn't really know each other too well) and met a lot of other people through them so by March I had maybe 15-20 good friends and if corona hadn't happened, I think I would have made the summer term one of the best 3-4 months of my life
Uni is definitely what you make it, if you don't make too many friends don't worry about it, it will seem like everyone around you has 100s of friends but in reality, they also probably have many close friends, its better to have a few close friends who you can rely on rather than too many friends.
To be brutally honest, alcohol and drinking and clubbing do make up a BIG proportion of your social time and it is easier to meet people through pres/club events but again, if you don't like these things, thats not a problem as there are plenty of people in the same situation.
Uni and independence brings out a new side of many people, I found myself to become much more of a party animal and become way more provocative than I used to be and gained so much confidence. I struggled a lot with body confidence/ self doubt over how I look etc. but being at uni has truly made me come into my own and I've become so much more confident in the way I look/ dress. I also tried so many things that I never thought I would get to experience and whilst some of them should be things I regret, I don't really regret at all because it was still a good experience
Reply 21
I found it pretty good. New independence, exciting surrounding, a diverse mix of people, a massive range of activities to try out and at the frontiers of knowledge. There are downsides too of course, social and academic pressures and life on a tight budget. But would recommend.
Original post by gigaberry
The amount of times I've cried alone in my room without my flatmates having a clue :frown:

:console: :hugs:

TW Historic SH

Spoiler

Original post by CoolCavy
:console: :hugs:

TW Historic SH

Spoiler

Why did they snitch? :mad:
Original post by gigaberry
Why did they snitch? :mad:

They weren't a very nice person :frown:
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
in movies you see people going off to university and it all seems really fun and like they gain loads of independence, but is that the reality? to me, uni seems really nice like getting your own apartment and meeting new people. so is it really as good as the movies portray?

Uni is a lot of fun & you do gain a lot of independence. But I wouldn’t really say it’s like the movies.

A lot of my best memories are more spontaneous bits of $hithousery.
my dad said he might get me an apartment but id much rather buy it myself haha. im quite introverted and partying isnt really my thing so that's why i was curious to see what uni was really like. ty for the reply though (:

Take the flat.

The numbers of people under 30 getting on the property ladder are getting lower & lower. The reality is nowadays without financial support it’s very hard to raise a deposit if you are also simultaneously renting.
Original post by mnot
Take the flat.

The numbers of people under 30 getting on the property ladder are getting lower & lower. The reality is nowadays without financial support it’s very hard to raise a deposit if you are also simultaneously renting.

ok ty for the advice (:
in movies you see people going off to university and it all seems really fun and like they gain loads of independence, but is that the reality? to me, uni seems really nice like getting your own apartment and meeting new people. so is it really as good as the movies portray?

yes and no it's good on nights out, but pretty boring during the day when nothing is on except lectures

I didn't make my close group of friends until second year. Some people are toxic af and are only there to get wasted, but obviously they're not everyone. I enjoyed the independence, and I did make lots of friends, but there are only a few that I now consider my close friends. Also, I had my own studio in second and third year which I could afford as I didn't go out much, got the maximum student loan, and also had a part-time job. It's not that common, though.
Original post by Anonymous
U r 13 and 31 , remember that

first of all my names *khadija not khadijaH
if youre 31 and you're literally harassing a 13 year old CHILD then you have problems
please leave me alone
Hi @khadijaaaxxxx
I’m a student at Lancaster Uni and I would sometimes the movies don’t show an accurate portrayal. I suppose from my experience the social life does tend to be good but the movies don’t awkward show the hard work (especially in later years of your studies) to actually get the degree ! University’s very much what you make of it but it’s not always how it’s portrayed and the stereotypes aren’t always true.
Hope this helps give you an idea
Lancaster Uni student ambassador Holly

Loved undergraduate study. Its ultimately about the studying and aiming to achieve academic excellence, but the social benefits are good. Try to keep a level head and ground yourself, sometimes, people will try to take you off track for the actual goal which is to get the degree :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 33

I loved uni, it was everything I wanted it to be and I had the best time and learned loads. It's certainly one of the best times in my life.

Quick Reply

Latest