cait.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hi!
i'm in year 11 and starting year 12 in september and i'm still unsure about what subjects to take!! its so frustrating to decide. i know there are many of other posts similar to this haha
it's out of biology, chemistry, psychology, business and history. i enjoy these subjects a lot and i'm the most passionate about them.
I definitely want to take biology (got an A at GCSE) and psychology. i'm really considering chemistry as i got an A* at GCSE and i really enjoy chem but i really struggle with maths (i got a C lol but not far off a B...) so that's the only thing worrying me about not taking chem. plus is bio, chemistry and psych too much to handle ?????
I really love business (didn't do at GCSE because of option blocks) and history (got an A) as subjects too.
please can someone help put good combinations of subjects together that would sense because feel like biology, history and business just wouldn't make sense? idk!! if only i could take 5 subjects even though that would kill me haha
thanks so much xx
Kibser
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Are you planning on going to university? If so, what kind of degree are you looking at? You don't want to disadvantage yourself by taking certain A levels and then finding out down the line you need other ones to apply to a course you like.

Other than this, you really need to pick subjects that you know you will enjoy. If you think you won't like doing maths, then is there really any point in doing it? You will likely get lower grades in a subject you don't particularly enjoy, especially at A level. As for the work load, I personally think that biology and chemistry go hand in hand. You can use a lot of your A level chemistry knowledge in A level biology. As for psychology, I don't know, because I don't do it, but I don't see any real issues with that combination. If you think you will enjoy that combo, then by all means go for it.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by cait.)
hi!
i'm in year 11 and starting year 12 in september and i'm still unsure about what subjects to take!! its so frustrating to decide. i know there are many of other posts similar to this haha
it's out of biology, chemistry, psychology, business and history. i enjoy these subjects a lot and i'm the most passionate about them.
I definitely want to take biology (got an A at GCSE) and psychology. i'm really considering chemistry as i got an A* at GCSE and i really enjoy chem but i really struggle with maths (i got a C lol but not far off a B...) so that's the only thing worrying me about not taking chem. plus is bio, chemistry and psych too much to handle ?????
I really love business (didn't do at GCSE because of option blocks) and history (got an A) as subjects too.
please can someone help put good combinations of subjects together that would sense because feel like biology, history and business just wouldn't make sense? idk!! if only i could take 5 subjects even though that would kill me haha
thanks so much xx
Hey. Do you have a rough idea of what you want to study at uni and what career you want? Dw if you don't. If you want to keep your options open, I would definitely take biology and psychology A-Level given how passionate you are about those subjects and they're also facilitating subjects. As for your third (and possibly fourth) subject, I would recommend taking another essay-based subject like history and/or business. Please don't do 5 A-Level subjects, you'll find it very tricky to manage the workload.

Hope this helps.
YasirChowdhury
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by cait.)
hi!
thanks so much xx
Hi,

I'm also going to year 12. Honestly, I think that your combination should depend on whatever degree it is you are pursuing. In my opinion, I think that a solid combination would be biology, chemistry, business and psychology. Depending on your degree choice, you may want to swap out psychology with maths, as I've heard that it helps with many degrees. Also, by taking biology and chemistry, you always have the medical route open for you, should you wish to follow it. I hope this helps 🙂.
cait.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by WillPhillips)
Are you planning on going to university? If so, what kind of degree are you looking at? You don't want to disadvantage yourself by taking certain A levels and then finding out down the line you need other ones to apply to a course you like.

Other than this, you really need to pick subjects that you know you will enjoy. If you think you won't like doing maths, then is there really any point in doing it? You will likely get lower grades in a subject you don't particularly enjoy, especially at A level. As for the work load, I personally think that biology and chemistry go hand in hand. You can use a lot of your A level chemistry knowledge in A level biology. As for psychology, I don't know, because I don't do it, but I don't see any real issues with that combination. If you think you will enjoy that combo, then by all means go for it.
i am planning to go to uni! im really not at all sure about what i want to do yet though.
i understand i need certain a levels for specific courses but it will most likely be something science related.
is there a lot of maths content in chem?
Geraldthegoat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well Biology has a lot of content but u learn some similar things to Psychology so it’s helpful in a way that u will remember it better. I do Psychology and it’s not that easy, the context is okay but sometimes the books aren’t easily worded compared to GCSE and there are a lot of statistics and names of studies that u have to remember. Chemistry is extremely hard, everyone I know that personally did it at A-level got 6-9s at GCSE and they find it extremely hard and now they can’t get passed a C atm in year 12. U need to consider what u want to do in the future first.
Last edited by Geraldthegoat; 1 week ago
yaseen1000
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you have an idea of what you want to either at uni / as career that should help you narrow down your choices . Bio has a lot of content however for bio if you do enough past papers you start the notice questions either repeat or similar . For some great revison tips I recommend following www.facebook.com/RGguide
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (118)
25.27%
Better than expected (97)
20.77%
Worse than expected (252)
53.96%

Watched Threads