Supermarkets getting nasty when you quit?

Watch
Gary White
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, another supermarket question ill think there will be a few as in my area there's not much choice.

Another thing I've noticed in supermarkets is them getting very nasty after you quit and I mean bothering you like it was some kind of important job but lets be serious it's stacking shelves, surely people come and go on a regular basis and it's not just supermarkets any low paid job (not all! in-fact i'm a bit hurt now when they don't get upset) can get very nasty when you stop turning up.
Last edited by Gary White; 1 week ago
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Gary White)
Hi, another supermarket question ill think there will be a few as in my area there's not much choice.

Another thing I've noticed in supermarkets is them getting very nasty after you quit and I mean bothering you like it was some kind of important job but lets be serious it's stacking shelves, surely people come and go on a regular basis and it's not just supermarkets any low paid job (not all! in-fact i'm a bit hurt now when they don't get upset) can get very nasty when you stop turning up.
You say "stop turning up" - do you mean you didn't tell them you were quitting, and just didn't turn up to your shifts?

Because if so, I can understand why they were annoyed at you.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

What do you mean "stop turning up"?
If you left the proper way, i.e. give the required amount of notice,worked your notice period and left on good terms then they should not get funny with you and they should be fine.
If you just stop turning up for your shifts, then I don't blame them for getting pissed off at you.
Gary White
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
more like that bad relationship that you've been deciding to ghost because they treat you like sh*t , you kept mentioning it and you weren't turning up so much and hinting etc
they knew you were going to leave but when you left they had a freak-out like your crazy ex, stalking you and stuff
Last edited by Gary White; 6 days ago
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
more like that bad relationship that you've been deciding to ghost because they treat you like sh*t , you kept mentioning it and you weren't turning up so much and hinting etc
they knew you were going to leave but when you left they had a freak-out like your crazy ex, stalking you and stuff
So almost like even though you think it's a rubbish job, they're still serious £multi million businesses that take their employees turning up seriously?
Gary White
Rep:
?
with all relationships there should be boundaries and just because there a "£multi million businesses" doesn't mean they can overstep them in-fact they should be monitored more stringent and if they do overstep the mark no I don't think you owe them anything except perhaps a letter of complaint.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It seems if I understand what I have read is that either you have just started to fail to turn up, instead of giving notice and coming to work your remaining shifts, or somehow you have given an impression that you intended to work there for a long period of time when you have either changed your mind or never intended to. There are also good and bad store managers in all aspects of retailing, food and non-food.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
with all relationships there should be boundaries and just because there a "£multi million businesses" doesn't mean they can overstep them in-fact they should be monitored more stringent and if they do overstep the mark no I don't think you owe them anything except perhaps a letter of complaint.
Well if you've got a complaint you should attempt to deal with it in a proper way and not just skive off work... if I'm understanding you correctly.

As an employee you don't really have any power to negotiate 'boundaries' - you don't have an equal relationship with your employer.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Well it's the sort of job where you leaving them in the lurch will put pressure on everyone else, so...yeah, they'll likely be pretty rude.
Gary White
Rep:
?
this is a truly worrying statement "As an employee you don't really have any power to negotiate 'boundaries' - you don't have an equal relationship with your employer."

this is like saying we can do whatever we like ha ha ha
luckily there are unions and things to help although some of the reps are just puppets for the company.
Gary White
Rep:
?
I understand but if they really think they can treat you like dirt and your going to comeback, no I won't feel bad for them in the slightest.

this was more about reactions after you left the kind of thing you talk about to your colleges, friends etc the kind of thing they don't want you to publish etc.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
So you're annoyed because they aren't the kind of places you can just turn up to, work at for a bit and leave? You don't want them to be proper jobs you want things to bend for you.

Well sadly you are not some superpowered person with reality bending abilities and will just have to deal with the world as it is.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
this is a truly worrying statement "As an employee you don't really have any power to negotiate 'boundaries' - you don't have an equal relationship with your employer."

this is like saying we can do whatever we like ha ha ha luckily there are unions and things to help although some of the reps are just puppets for the company.
Well there's laws the company will probably be trying to comply with... So what's the actual problem you've got? if you have left employment are they're refusing to pay you for work done or something?
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
Well there's laws the company will probably be trying to comply with... So what's the actual problem you've got? if you have left employment are they're refusing to pay you for work done or something?
I think it's some sort of White supremacy issue.
Gary White
Rep:
?
again this was about how they react after you leave and lets be honest, yeah they are rubbish jobs and you can just walk straight into another rubbish job so no I can't understand why they cry when you tell them to shove it and no-one has given a reason except there your employer they can treat you how they want and this is a pretty bad state of affairs and morals.

So you left them they knew you would leave now there going to cry boo-hoo and bother you at home. please you really think this is ok?

annoyed they think it's ok to get nasty after you left yes I think I have a right, once I broke contact I don't expect to ever hear from them again.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
When you leave a job, you need to give them a period of notice, and then work as normal until that period is over. Anything else is rude, a breach of your terms, and to be honest quite childish.

It sounds to me like you need to think carefully about your attitude towards work. Some jobs/managers do treat you like rubbish, but IME it's not really related to whether it's low pay, high pay or whatever. You can get bad management anywhere (and frequently do!) but you need to do your bit and work like you're supposed to while you're still under contract.
Gary White
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
I think it's some sort of White supremacy issue.
who was the one saying hello to cleaners every morning and treating them normally?
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
who was the one saying hello to cleaners every morning and treating them normally?
The cleaner's partners and children where appropriate?
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
again this was about how they react after you leave and lets be honest, yeah they are rubbish jobs and you can just walk straight into another rubbish job so no I can't understand why they cry when you tell them to shove it and no-one has given a reason except there your employer they can treat you how they want and this is a pretty bad state of affairs and morals.

So you left them they knew you would leave now there going to cry boo-hoo and bother you at home. please you really think this is ok?

annoyed they think it's ok to get nasty after you left yes I think I have a right, once I broke contact I don't expect to ever hear from them again.
You are clearly a troll, nobody is that ignorant about how jobs work.
Gary White
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
The cleaner's partners and children where appropriate?
this means what?
that's all it was about because I was nice to someone partner, meh no I won't feel bad.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (173)
38.11%
Take autumn exams (142)
31.28%
Look for a job (16)
3.52%
Consider an apprenticeship (20)
4.41%
Take a year out (76)
16.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
5.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise