sea2394
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
since MSc is a lot more harder than BSc, would getting a 2:2 MSc look bad if you have 2:1 BSc?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sea2394)
since MSc is a lot more harder than BSc, would getting a 2:2 MSc look bad if you have 2:1 BSc?
Who is grading an MSc with a 2:2? They are different things, and employer can make whatever assumptions they choose to.
Lewis T K
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s usually only integrated masters that are graded with firsts, 2.2 etc, even then that’s rare. Most MScs are either pass or fail, and the university can decide where to give a merit or distinction award (merit ~B3 avg, distinction ~A5 avg)
Last edited by Lewis T K; 1 week ago
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
MScs (apart from integrated ones) aren't classified using the undergraduate system, but are graded as fail, pass, merit, or distinction. Masters degrees are more demanding than BScs generally, but ideally you'd try to get at least a merit.
sea2394
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
MScs (apart from integrated ones) aren't classified using the undergraduate system, but are graded as fail, pass, merit, or distinction. Masters degrees are more demanding than BScs generally, but ideally you'd try to get at least a merit.
I see thanks. So how bad is a pass in MSc compared to a 2:1 in BSc. Does this means the student have perform worst and not suitable for any job after? I have no work experience but got a degree with 2:1 and a job offer for a band 5 software development role in NHS. is it worth going ahead with the job and do a MSc part-time? Or do a full-time degree MSc full-time straight after a BSc.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I see thanks. So how bad is a pass in MSc compared to a 2:1 in BSc. Does this means the student have perform worst and not suitable for any job after? I have no work experience but got a degree with 2:1 and a job offer for a band 5 software development role in NHS. is it worth going ahead with the job and do a MSc part-time? Or do a full-time degree MSc full-time straight after a BSc.
If it were me, I'd take the job offer, and after a while see if doing a MSc part-time is viable. Performance in a MSc doesn't necessarily stop you getting jobs, but it could reflect on your time management/organisation/work ethic potentially. For most jobs, work experience is more valuable than a list of qualifications.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (127)
24.01%
Better than expected (115)
21.74%
Worse than expected (287)
54.25%

Watched Threads