wrist injury

Watch
xron
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
so i fell off my skateboard and landed on my wrist. it’s not at all swollen but hurts to use. it doesn’t hurt when still and i can’t bend it sideways past a certain point. any idea what i’ve done?
Nutella!
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
fell off your skateboard.
Nutella!
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
but seriously, i’m not sure, sorry! 😔
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by xron)
so i fell off my skateboard and landed on my wrist. it’s not at all swollen but hurts to use. it doesn’t hurt when still and i can’t bend it sideways past a certain point. any idea what i’ve done?
This above in blue is what you have done.

This is now what you must do:

:doctor:
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 4 days ago
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Speak to your GP.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Did you fall onto an outstretched hand?

It sounds like a possible scaphoid fracture to me - I broke my scaphoid in one of my wrists several years ago when I fell over, and tried to use my hand to break my fall.

It's really important to go to a Minor Injuries Unit or Urgent Care centre to get it checked, because a broken scaphoid, if untreated, can permanently mess up the blood flow to your hand.
Last edited by LeapingLucy; 4 days ago
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Just FYI, a broken scaphoid often can't be seen on an X-ray at first, so the doctors may choose to put a cast on your wrist just in case, and then X-ray again in 2-3 weeks when it will have become clearer.

This is because by the time it is visible on an X-ray, the period of time in which a simple cast can treat it has often passed, and you'd be left needing surgery.
Last edited by LeapingLucy; 4 days ago
xron
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Just FYI, a broken scaphoid often can't be seen on an X-ray at first, so the doctors may choose to put a cast on your wrist just in case, and then X-ray again in 2-3 weeks when it will have become clearer.

This is because by the time it is visible on an X-ray, the period of time in which a simple cast can treat it has often passed, and you'd be left needing surgery.
ooh thanks, most the pain is when i move my thumb so sounds possible, thanks for the help
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by xron)
ooh thanks, most the pain is when i move my thumb so sounds possible, thanks for the help
That's definitely a red flag for a scaphoid injury.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by xron)
Are you feeling any better OP?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (34)
17.89%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
27.89%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (103)
54.21%

Watched Threads