Eryn6
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I want to study law at a top university (hopefully Cambridge) and was wondering if maths, psychology, religious studies and chemistry are good a levels? I hate English lit and history and heard essay subjects are good, does psych and religious studies count as essay based? P.s my backup careers would be finance or psychology but I wanted to do psychology with law if that makes sense?
Last edited by Eryn6; 1 week ago
sakura_23
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Eryn6)
I want to study law at a top university (hopefully Cambridge) and was wondering if maths, psychology, religious studies and chemistry are good a levels? I hate English lit and history and heard essay subjects are good, does psych and religious studies count as essay based? P.s my backup careers would be finance or psychology but I wanted to do psychology with law if that makes sense?
Well, law has no prerequisites from what I can remember, but it is true that essay subjects can make you seem like a more competent applicant, in comparison to someone who has none. I suppose to some extent they are essay subjects, but they aren’t as set in stone as history or eng lit, like you said. In law, there are no ‘good’ A-Levels, all they care about is that you get top grades. For reference I’m taking double maths, history and economics, and want to do PPE, then go into economics or convert to law. As long as you get the top grades, you stand a good chance (or as good of a chance as you can get at Oxbridge!) Good luck!
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Eryn6)
Uh, I really wouldn't aspire to do Law if you don't like essay based subjects... :lol: Law is nothing but essays and the texts are incredibly, incredibly dense. My sister and some close friends did Law and they all had dozens and dozens of new books every year which were several hundred pages long and just horribly difficult to read.

Don't think about careers just yet... Just do the subjects you like and will get good grades in. Then, once you're doing your subjects, you'll have a better idea of what your strengths are. Apply to degrees from there.
JockstrapAttack
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you don't like writing essays, don't even consider pursuing Law.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Those are good A levels. Yes, they count as essay based. Do you want to go into law degree because of the career or are you genuinely interested in it academically?
Eryn6
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
Uh, I really wouldn't aspire to do Law if you don't like essay based subjects... :lol: Law is nothing but essays and the texts are incredibly, incredibly dense. My sister and some close friends did Law and they all had dozens and dozens of new books every year which were several hundred pages long and just horribly difficult to read.

Don't think about careers just yet... Just do the subjects you like and will get good grades in. Then, once you're doing your subjects, you'll have a better idea of what your strengths are. Apply to degrees from there.
Hi thanks for the advice it’s not that I don’t like writing essays it’s just that I struggle with the texts for English lit and history used to be my fav subject but the GCSE and my teachers kind of killed my interest
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (119)
25.32%
Better than expected (97)
20.64%
Worse than expected (254)
54.04%

Watched Threads