Lose Job Offer over Fare Evasion conviction

Watch
kazzykay
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have recently been offered a job. I am worried when I declare my conviction for fare evasion they will withdraw the offer. It stemmed from me buying the wrong ticket whilst in a state of panic and stress, an unsympathetic train ticket inspector and leaving my purse whilst in a rush. Please could someone read the below and give me advice on whether HR of my company will look favourably on this one time offence and mistake. I am so worried about it!

On the night of the incident, whilst at my uni house, I received news of a family emergency concerning my Dad and was told by my Mum that she needed me to come home that night. In a panic I bought a train ticket on the trainline app and left with no belongings in a rush to make the last night train home. When checking tickets, the ticket inspector checked my ticket and told me that I should have got off at the last stop because my ticket was only from Birmingham to Leicester. It was only then did I realise I had bought a ticket to the wrong stop (From Birmingham to Leicester instead of Birmingham to Oakham), whilst stressed and in a rush. I, then went to go pay for a ticket for the remaining two stops and that’s when I realised I had left my purse, containing my cash, ID and debit card at my uni house whilst rushing, therefore could not pay. I tried to explain to the inspector how it was an honest mistake and told him about the family emergency hoping he would be a bit sympathetic. I then asked if I could pay with the PayPal on my trainline app electronically but he said no. He then asked for my details, which I gave and said I would be receiving a letter in the post. The ticket inspector didn’t even offer me a chance to pay a penalty fare. I was then summoned to court to pay the fine. I explained to the judge that I had a ticket for part of the journey which I bought mistakenly whilst in a frantic panic, receipt of this ticket, evidence of the family emergency and proof that if I had my purse I would have paid for the ticket as there was money in my bank account at the time. I explained how the ordeal stemmed from this mistake and the summons judge reduced my fine, from £200 to £80 because of this evidence. I was still convicted, due to my presence without the valid ticket and no means of paying. It’s something I deeply regret although it was not an act I did not commit on purpose.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by kazzykay)
I have recently been offered a job. I am worried when I declare my conviction for fare evasion they will withdraw the offer. It stemmed from me buying the wrong ticket whilst in a state of panic and stress, an unsympathetic train ticket inspector and leaving my purse whilst in a rush. Please could someone read the below and give me advice on whether HR of my company will look favourably on this one time offence and mistake. I am so worried about it!

On the night of the incident, whilst at my uni house, I received news of a family emergency concerning my Dad and was told by my Mum that she needed me to come home that night. In a panic I bought a train ticket on the trainline app and left with no belongings in a rush to make the last night train home. When checking tickets, the ticket inspector checked my ticket and told me that I should have got off at the last stop because my ticket was only from Birmingham to Leicester. It was only then did I realise I had bought a ticket to the wrong stop (From Birmingham to Leicester instead of Birmingham to Oakham), whilst stressed and in a rush. I, then went to go pay for a ticket for the remaining two stops and that’s when I realised I had left my purse, containing my cash, ID and debit card at my uni house whilst rushing, therefore could not pay. I tried to explain to the inspector how it was an honest mistake and told him about the family emergency hoping he would be a bit sympathetic. I then asked if I could pay with the PayPal on my trainline app electronically but he said no. He then asked for my details, which I gave and said I would be receiving a letter in the post. The ticket inspector didn’t even offer me a chance to pay a penalty fare. I was then summoned to court to pay the fine. I explained to the judge that I had a ticket for part of the journey which I bought mistakenly whilst in a frantic panic, receipt of this ticket, evidence of the family emergency and proof that if I had my purse I would have paid for the ticket as there was money in my bank account at the time. I explained how the ordeal stemmed from this mistake and the summons judge reduced my fine, from £200 to £80 because of this evidence. I was still convicted, due to my presence without the valid ticket and no means of paying. It’s something I deeply regret although it was not an act I did not commit on purpose.
What was the date of the conviction?
Is this a graduate level job?
Have they said they will ask you for a DBS? Do you know what sort?It depends on the job.
Did they ask you to disclose a criminal record in the job application form?
kazzykay
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
What was the date of the conviction?
Is this a graduate level job?
Have they said they will ask you for a DBS? Do you know what sort?It depends on the job.
Did they ask you to disclose a criminal record in the job application form?
October 2018 is the date. Yes it is a grad level job. They have not but I'm sure they will as they will do a background check. I think basic disclosure and no they did not ask me to disclose before.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (13)
18.84%
Better than expected (16)
23.19%
Worse than expected (40)
57.97%

Watched Threads