Lots of questions from an American applying to Oxford PPE

Watch
Forelsket
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi! I'm currently a rising junior in an American high school (so I have over a year before I begin the admissions process). Oxford PPE has been my dream course for a long time and I wanted to start preparing this year.

I have the SAT score qualifications (1570) and 5's on three AP exams (including Calculus BC), and I'll definitely have more by the time I apply, as I'm taking 6-7 AP's junior year. I know EC's aren't as important, but I'm currently interning on a congressional campaign and very involved in a business/economics competition where I've qualified at the national level. I don't have the opportunity to take an economics course, however, so would it be worth looking into self-studying an introductory course (possibly AP Micro and Macro)?

While I know that no prior knowledge is assumed, I definitely want to get extra reading in throughout the next year. I already have a subscription to The Economist and I'm reading "An Introduction to Political Philosophy" by Wolff and "Think" by Simon Blackburn. Could anyone recommend me other helpful/interesting books and readings?

It's still pretty early, but any recommendations for practice materials for the TSA would also be greatly appreciated! I've been looking at sample questions but I haven't taken a practice test yet as it feels like it's too early to do so.

I'm definitely applying to American universities, but this has been my "dream school" for years and I'd be very, very thankful for any advice! If you've read all this way, thank you, and I'm sorry about all the questions!
Last edited by Forelsket; 5 days ago
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Forelsket)
Hi! I'm currently a rising junior in an American high school (so I have over a year before I begin the admissions process). Oxford PPE has been my dream course for a long time and I wanted to start preparing this year.

I have the SAT score qualifications (1570) and 5's on three AP exams (including Calculus BC), and I'll have definitely have more by the time I apply, as I'm taking 6-7 AP's junior year. I know EC's aren't as important, but I'm currently interning on a congressional campaign and very involved in a business/economics competition where I've qualified at the national level. I don't have the opportunity to take an economics course, however, so would it be worth looking into self-studying an introductory course (possibly AP Micro and Macro)?
As you have already met the entry requirements, I believe that it is possible to apply this year for deferred entry. This would give you two attempts. You don't need huge numbers of APs, but you do need to do well on the TSA to get an interview.

Only Super ECs (those related to the course) are of any importance.

It's still pretty early, but any recommendations for practice materials for the TSA would also be greatly appreciated! I've been looking at sample questions but I haven't taken a practice test yet as it feels like it's too early to do so.
The "How Do I Prepare?" tab here recommends three books in the "Further Reading" section.

I'm definitely applying to American universities, but this has been my "dream school" for years and I'd be very, very thankful for any advice! If you've read all this way, thank you, and I'm sorry about all the questions!
Be aware that the dates can be a challenge, although already meeting the entry requirements helps.
Forelsket
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
As you have already met the entry requirements, I believe that it is possible to apply this year for deferred entry. This would give you two attempts. You don't need huge numbers of APs, but you do need to do well on the TSA to get an interview.

Only Super ECs (those related to the course) are of any importance.

The "How Do I Prepare?" tab here recommends three books in the "Further Reading" section.

Be aware that the dates can be a challenge, although already meeting the entry requirements helps.
Thank you so much! The link was very helpful and I've put the books on my to-order list. I talked about applying this year with my parents, but they told me to focus on my courseload and extracurriculars to prepare for American college applications, and to take the time this year to continue getting ready for applying to Oxford. I'll definitely keep an eye out on dates and how the process unfolds this year, though, to get a better understanding of the timeline! Again, thank you for the advice!
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I talked about applying this year with my parents, but they told me to focus on my courseload and extracurriculars to prepare for American college applications, and to take the time this year to continue getting ready for applying to Oxford. I'll definitely keep an eye out on dates and how the process unfolds this year, though, to get a better understanding of the timeline! Again, thank you for the advice!
Are you planning on applying anywhere else in the UK?
Forelsket
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Are you planning on applying anywhere else in the UK?
I'm thinking about UCL, but I'm mostly looking into US schools with similar programs or related majors.
Mona123456
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

I have the SAT score qualifications (1570) and 5's on three AP exams (including Calculus BC), and I'll definitely have more by the time I apply, as I'm taking 6-7 AP's junior year. I know EC's aren't as important, but I'm currently interning on a congressional campaign and very involved in a business/economics competition where I've qualified at the national level. I don't have the opportunity to take an economics course, however, so would it be worth looking into self-studying an introductory course (possibly AP Micro and Macro)?

While I know that no prior knowledge is assumed, I definitely want to get extra reading in throughout the next year. I already have a subscription to The Economist and I'm reading "An Introduction to Political Philosophy" by Wolff and "Think" by Simon Blackburn. Could anyone recommend me other helpful/interesting books and readings?

Here’s the chapter from Oxford Demystified on applying for PPE, where utilitarianism has written a really useful account of their experience applying:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6436380

Best of luck with your application
utilitarianism
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Mona123456)
Here’s the chapter from Oxford Demystified on applying for PPE, where utilitarianism has written a really useful account of their experience applying:

Thank you very much for the tag, Mona!

Hey Forelsket! I'm starting PPE at Oxford in the autumn and I would be happy to answer any qs you have on the application process
Forelsket
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Mona123456)

Thank you so much!
Forelsket
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by utilitarianism)
Thank you very much for the tag, Mona!

Hey Forelsket! I'm starting PPE at Oxford in the autumn and I would be happy to answer any qs you have on the application process
Hey! Thanks so much for writing that chapter, it actually answered a lot of questions I didn't think to ask in my initial post!

Would it be alright if I messaged you about the application process?
utilitarianism
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hey! Thanks so much for writing that chapter, it actually answered a lot of questions I didn't think to ask in my initial post!

Would it be alright if I messaged you about the application process?
That’s completely fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (107)
38.63%
Take autumn exams (88)
31.77%
Look for a job (8)
2.89%
Consider an apprenticeship (9)
3.25%
Take a year out (47)
16.97%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
6.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed