Nevi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Do we know if those of us who manage to get an interview for admission in October 2021 will have an in-person interview as normal or a virtual one (due to circumstances)

I know things change by the hour in this current political climate - the rules with it - but an idea would be nice aha
Student10O
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I read on the website 'In order to minimise COVID-related risks to our applicants, students and staff in the coming undergraduate admissions round, we are making plans to interview applicants this year without requiring them to travel to Cambridge in December. We will release further details about alternative arrangements as soon as we can.' which I assume means virtual interviews because I doubt admissions officers could travel to each individual candidate around the UK + international students. Tbh I think I'd prefer virtual interviews, wbu?
sentry_going_up
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Virtual interviews would be a blessing and a curse at the same time - people would no doubt have pages and pages arranged around their webcam (blessing), but everyone would probably do better (curse). Not to mention many people probably don't even have webcams so would have to do it on a smartphone or something. I can just see so many problems coming about from this
Nevi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student10O)
I read on the website 'In order to minimise COVID-related risks to our applicants, students and staff in the coming undergraduate admissions round, we are making plans to interview applicants this year without requiring them to travel to Cambridge in December. We will release further details about alternative arrangements as soon as we can.' which I assume means virtual interviews because I doubt admissions officers could travel to each individual candidate around the UK + international students. Tbh I think I'd prefer virtual interviews, wbu?
I’d be gutted tbh. Never actually been to Cambridge and an interview was gonna be my little taster if you know what I mean. I’m sure it wouldn’t affect the outcome much and at least I could be in a comfy environment but it’s still a bit disappointing lol
Student10O
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nevi)
I’d be gutted tbh. Never actually been to Cambridge and an interview was gonna be my little taster if you know what I mean. I’m sure it wouldn’t affect the outcome much and at least I could be in a comfy environment but it’s still a bit disappointing lol
I feel your disappointment, but of course they must follow government guidelines. For me, virtually would be much less nerve-wracking. But now that you mention it, it definitely would have been nice to visit Cambridge and get a feel of the town and college. Also, I have younger siblings and wouldn't have a quiet place to do the interview so if I do manage to secure an interview I'd have to sort that out ++ my computer doesn't even have a webcam so I also have to deal with that... Okay actually in hindsight in-person would be much better!
Anonymous17!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would hate to have to do a virtual interview. It can be daunting for anyone whose never done a video interview before and even if you had all the papers around you to help with answers etc, surely they would get suspicious that your eyes keep darting elsewhere, even if you tried to make it subtle.
Student10O
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous17!)
I would hate to have to do a virtual interview. It can be daunting for anyone whose never done a video interview before and even if you had all the papers around you to help with answers etc, surely they would get suspicious that your eyes keep darting elsewhere, even if you tried to make it subtle.
True, some people's parents might even help them
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sentry_going_up)
Virtual interviews would be a blessing and a curse at the same time - people would no doubt have pages and pages arranged around their webcam (blessing), but everyone would probably do better (curse). Not to mention many people probably don't even have webcams so would have to do it on a smartphone or something. I can just see so many problems coming about from this
Tbh I don't see how "notes" would help in an interview - interviews are hardly like people expect anyway.

They already have experience of Skype interviews for people abroad who couldn't come to England for interview, and it's worked fine for them so far.
Nevi
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
Tbh I don't see how "notes" would help in an interview - interviews are hardly like people expect anyway.

They already have experience of Skype interviews for people abroad who couldn't come to England for interview, and it's worked fine for them so far.
(Original post by Student10O)
I feel your disappointment, but of course they must follow government guidelines. For me, virtually would be much less nerve-wracking. But now that you mention it, it definitely would have been nice to visit Cambridge and get a feel of the town and college. Also, I have younger siblings and wouldn't have a quiet place to do the interview so if I do manage to secure an interview I'd have to sort that out ++ my computer doesn't even have a webcam so I also have to deal with that... Okay actually in hindsight in-person would be much better!
Im the exact same!

My webcam broke on my laptop so would have to use my phone. I live in a busy busy new build neighbourhood which is still being built with lots of new families (lots of screaming) not to mention my younger brother with his gaming setup and foul language right next door to my study desk...

Fortunately for me I live right next to a forest and the North York Moors. Theres a spot I like to hang out where you can literally hear nothing. Conveniently it has 4g. I’d probably take my phone and do an interview there. At least I can be left in peace lol (not to mention it’ll prove I ain’t hiding behind a wall of notes) and who doesn’t wanna be remembered for something like that?!
Nevi
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)

Ikr. AND you look a bit awkward if they take you by surprise

Fortunately for me words seem to come out my mouth to answer questions that even I can’t answer. Convenient as it is in the art of savage comeback

Works better in person though...
sentry_going_up
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by _gcx)

Quotes from books I've mentioned for example - obviously notes won't carry someone to success, but they would certainly help.
Snonflake
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sentry_going_up)
Quotes from books I've mentioned for example - obviously notes won't carry someone to success, but they would certainly help.
Honestly don’t think so. They mostly care about you answering their questions 90% off which are not gonna be something you can predict. The pre-rehearsed sorts of questions like “why x subject” and “tell me about this book you mentioned” are not gonna take up the whole interview. Of course as you mentioned you could write down quotes but the chances are you won’t even look at them because it would just be awkward and the interviewers will be able to notice even subtle movements. Of course this would vary by subject, but I really don’t think notes could do much for you.
s.jones5
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is this like for definite? I'm hoping to apply for architecture and not being able to show my portfolio in real life would really not be good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (271)
40.45%
Take autumn exams (201)
30%
Look for a job (22)
3.28%
Consider an apprenticeship (26)
3.88%
Take a year out (111)
16.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (39)
5.82%

Watched Threads