amberidescence
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm currently studying IB SL Maths Analysis and Approaches and I'm wondering whether I can sit an extra exam in A Level Maths at the end of the year with what I've learnt.

If not, how different are the courses in content and difficulty? Would I be able to sit the A Level Maths exam without extra preparation?

I'm looking to do this because many unis offering general Engineering (H100) want IB HL Maths, which I don't have. I'm hoping to improve my application by taking an A Level Math exam.
VanillaCream
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by amberidescence)
I'm currently studying IB SL Maths Analysis and Approaches and I'm wondering whether I can sit an extra exam in A Level Maths at the end of the year with what I've learnt.

If not, how different are the courses in content and difficulty? Would I be able to sit the A Level Maths exam without extra preparation?

I'm looking to do this because many unis offering general Engineering (H100) want IB HL Maths, which I don't have. I'm hoping to improve my application by taking an A Level Math exam.
can you switch to IB Math AA HL instead? in my school it's not possible, but I know there are schools which let you switch as they start the HL extension late in IBY1 or in IBY2 (so even if in late IBY1, you can still work on that in summer and be ready for IBY2).

I'm also doing Math AA SL and had a quick look, I think the levels are similar (maybe not exactly the same), so if it doesn't hurt your application (I'm not from the UK so I don't know how it works with 'adding' an A level to IB, in my country it's not possible, you either do the IB or the national qualifications as A levels in the UK) if you get a lower grade and can just omit it in your UCAS application.
from what I understood, there is like a bigger topic in A level Maths which is mechanics which is lacking in Math AA in general (even HL I think), but it seems as if it was similar to Physics, so if you're doing Physics, it shouldn't be that hard to learn that on your own. there are also vectors and complex numbers which aren't present in Math AA SL (but they surely are in Math HL), from what I've heard, complex numbers at hard to grasp at first, but probably not impossible.

on top of that, IB exams usually finish on around 20th May and A level exams are, I think, in June, so you will still have some time after IB exams to learn for A level Maths.
amberidescence
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 hours ago
(Original post by VanillaCream)
can you switch to IB Math AA HL instead? in my school it's not possible, but I know there are schools which let you switch as they start the HL extension late in IBY1 or in IBY2 (so even if in late IBY1, you can still work on that in summer and be ready for IBY2).

I'm also doing Math AA SL and had a quick look, I think the levels are similar (maybe not exactly the same), so if it doesn't hurt your application (I'm not from the UK so I don't know how it works with 'adding' an A level to IB, in my country it's not possible, you either do the IB or the national qualifications as A levels in the UK) if you get a lower grade and can just omit it in your UCAS application.
from what I understood, there is like a bigger topic in A level Maths which is mechanics which is lacking in Math AA in general (even HL I think), but it seems as if it was similar to Physics, so if you're doing Physics, it shouldn't be that hard to learn that on your own. there are also vectors and complex numbers which aren't present in Math AA SL (but they surely are in Math HL), from what I've heard, complex numbers at hard to grasp at first, but probably not impossible.

on top of that, IB exams usually finish on around 20th May and A level exams are, I think, in June, so you will still have some time after IB exams to learn for A level Maths.
Thanks so much for your reply, VanillaCream.

I think what I'll do now is have a look at the A Level Maths syllabus and a few past papers -- maybe give one or two a try to see whether they're manageable for me!

Best of luck in the IB!

PS. I don't think it's possible for me to switch to HL AA now, and anyways I think I'd find it very difficult if I were to switch so late.
PSS. I'm an international applicant too, but from what I've heard you can supplement your application with additional qualifications should you wish to (such as A Levels alongside IB).
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 hours ago
(Original post by amberidescence)
Thanks so much for your reply, VanillaCream.

I think what I'll do now is have a look at the A Level Maths syllabus and a few past papers -- maybe give one or two a try to see whether they're manageable for me!

Best of luck in the IB!

PS. I don't think it's possible for me to switch to HL AA now, and anyways I think I'd find it very difficult if I were to switch so late.
PSS. I'm an international applicant too, but from what I've heard you can supplement your application with additional qualifications should you wish to (such as A Levels alongside IB).
Yes, it's possible to apply with additional A-levels and such, although it won't "improve" and application in terms of making you more competitive than someone who did IB HL Maths, it will allow you to meet any subject requirements for the course(s) you are applying to. You will need to cover more material to bridge the gap up to A-level, although it won't be as wide as between e.g. AS and A-level Maths, I believe. Your best bet is to look at the course specification for A-level Maths for the specific exam board you plan to sit the exam with and see how much your current material matches up with that. The core syllabus is the same between all exam boards but the way in which they examine this does vary (which may end up emphasising certain topics more with some than others, perhaps).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (151)
37.94%
Take autumn exams (123)
30.9%
Look for a job (14)
3.52%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.27%
Take a year out (68)
17.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.28%

Watched Threads