Dating someone who smokes cannabis

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi
So I met a girl. We seemed to be getting on fairly well and chatted for several weeks. She has a lot of qualities that I look for. But last night she told me that she smokes weed. I told her honestly that "I'm not sure how comfortable I am with potentially dating someone who uses illegal drugs". It's her reaction that I didn't like. "it's only a bit of weed but it's your loss. I'm a good honest human and if that's not enough then fine". I was thinking what on earth? I mean is it really that big a deal if she smokes cannabis?
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If you dont like it, you dont have to date her.
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
How often does she do it? I hate drugs and it would make me feel uncomfortable too.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by YaliaV)
How often does she do it? I hate drugs and it would make me feel uncomfortable too.
It seems like she does it only occasionally. I never asked but she said she spends about £20 a week on it. She doesn't drink either. So this is like her release sort of
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi
So I met a girl. We seemed to be getting on fairly well and chatted for several weeks. She has a lot of qualities that I look for. But last night she told me that she smokes weed. I told her honestly that "I'm not sure how comfortable I am with potentially dating someone who uses illegal drugs". It's her reaction that I didn't like. "it's only a bit of weed but it's your loss. I'm a good honest human and if that's not enough then fine". I was thinking what on earth? I mean is it really that big a deal if she smokes cannabis?
So, this girl knowingly commits criminal offences, has clearly given no thought to the impact on people of the drugs supply chain, wastes money on something illegal and unnecessary and doesn't care for her physical and mental health.

Does that really sound like 'a good honest human being'? Yes, it's a massive deal that she smokes cannabis. She's got a throwaway attitude that will spill over into other areas of life. Avoid.
Last edited by Surnia; 5 days ago
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
I would never go out with someone, or be friends with someone for that matter, who does drugs. Completely inappropriate in my opinion and frankly just gross
megan_e
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
i think you should reconsider what you thought of her, she may be hiding behind a mask only to reveal her nature after you start dating.
later on, she might think of taking advantage of you financially if she becomes dependant on the drugs and cannot pay for them herself
i hope you find someone better
Last edited by megan_e; 5 days ago
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It it’s not working out for you then it’s good to draw a line early. The phase you used was a bit accusatory to be honesty, bearing in mind how common this is - most of the government have done worse it seems. I’m not surprised she pushed back a tad. If you like her ease up a bit and seek to influence more subtly.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Zarek)
It it’s not working out for you then it’s good to draw a line early. The phase you used was a bit accusatory to be honesty, bearing in mind how common this is - most of the government have done worse it seems. I’m not surprised she pushed back a tad. If you like her ease up a bit and seek to influence more subtly.
She pushed him back a tad because she knows what she's doing is wrong and doesn't like getting called out for it. If what she is doing is right, why would she feel the need to become so offended? I hate when people think they are above the law. If something is illegal, ITS ILLEGAL FOR A REASON
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
She pushed him back a tad because she knows what she's doing is wrong and doesn't like getting called out for it. If what she is doing is right, why would she feel the need to become so offended? I hate when people think they are above the law. If something is illegal, ITS ILLEGAL FOR A REASON
It does somewhat undermine the credibility of the law when it’s not enforced, with government ministers confessing with no repercussions either. Its come up at the start so you can make a decision.
Last edited by Zarek; 5 days ago
Anonymous #3
Report 5 days ago
lol at the misinformation on cannabis on this thread
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
An additional point to consider is if you can tolerate living with someone who would smell strongly of cannabis occasionally/ make the house smell of cannabis.

I hate the smell so it would be a deal breaker straight away.
itscourtchicks
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I guess it depends. I know some lovely human beings who also happen to drink, some fantastic human beings who smoke a bit of weed, and some other good folk who indulge in other substances.
Personally I guess I would be for cannabis legalisation, if I had to choose. But that’s a discussion for another time.
I guess you do need to consider that it’s not legal like alcohol is (which would upset many folk), and if you are personally against it/drugs or drink in general. And also how much does she consume a week, how much money she spends on it, and a myriad of other things about her personality and what she does with her life in general.
But if you don’t feel comfortable with it then don’t date her. Your choice after all.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Don't date her. Think of the 'supply chain' and who is most likely to be assaulted or worse, who is most likely to be arrested by the police and the harm in some developing countries. It won't be a white middle class woman (or man) who suffers most from the trade. If you believe that black lives matter then not taking drugs is a step of support.
megan_e
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
lol at the misinformation on cannabis on this thread
isn't cannabis addictive though?
https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...uana-addictive
dependence is very possible
Last edited by megan_e; 5 days ago
itscourtchicks
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by megan_e)
isn't cannabis is addictive though?
https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...uana-addictive
dependence is very possible
As it is with alcohol, unfortunately. Although I can’t preach on the comparisons of all different addictive substances.
H4ttie03
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I swear cannabis is illegal (correct me if in wrong) so honestly like others said on here it would be a deal breaker for me, and thus a big deal
itscourtchicks
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by H4ttie03)
I swear cannabis is illegal (correct me if in wrong) so honestly like others said on here it would be a deal breaker for me, and thus a big deal
You’re right. Cannabis is a Class B substance under UK government. Although many think it should at least be reclassified as a Class C substance, or legalised altogether (with limits).
Anonymous #1
To be honest I'm more bothered about her reaction. "it's your loss". Makes her seem arrogant and butt hurt. Plus if she knew it was going to be an issue why did she wait so long? Plus she's a lot older than me so I'd have expected her to be a lot more mature. She has been slowly revealing things to me that I find uncomfortable. Like having an illness that means it's very unlikely that she can have children and more. What's coming next?
H4ttie03
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
To be honest I'm more bothered about her reaction. "it's your loss". Makes her seem arrogant and butt hurt. Plus if she knew it was going to be an issue why did she wait so long? Plus she's a lot older than me so I'd have expected her to be a lot more mature. She has been slowly revealing things to me that I find uncomfortable. Like having an illness that means it's very unlikely that she can have children and more. What's coming next?
If you're getting bad vibes from her and are worried of what else she might say then I would suggest you just be straight w her, and ask her to be honest w everything about herself and have a chat. If you find out even more things taht you feel uncomfortable w then maybe reconsider the relationship
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (80)
38.46%
Take autumn exams (71)
34.13%
Look for a job (6)
2.88%
Consider an apprenticeship (7)
3.37%
Take a year out (31)
14.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
6.25%

Watched Threads