What would you make of this?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have a friend who’s dad used to work in a very prestigious company and had enough standing to get her a fantastic opportunity within that company. He went through all the effort to get her in and she said no.

Friend then went on to apply to university and move to London. She’s very used to living to a certain standard so I was interested to see how she’d find student accommodation. Then I find out her parents are paying for her to have a deluxe studio apartment in the centre of London. I don’t have a problem with this, hey if they can afford it then great good for her. Three weeks in she hadn’t made any effort to integrate into uni life and was wanting to go back home. Her parents were left paying ££££ for this incredible studio that she never returned to.

At one stage we were looking at flats to rent together but things I felt were reasonable for our budget she was never happy with and I genuinely believe she won’t be happy in anything that isn’t a fancy property in a prosperous area. She’s now having a life-crisis as she feels ‘stuck’ because she can’t get to where she wants but where she wants is someone who’s 10 years deep into a profession, has built up savings etc.

I can’t figure out how to get through to her without falling out. She’s a kind person but I never realised how oblivious she was to the real world. In my eyes, she acts like someone who comes from a multimillion earning home when she doesn’t???
X.243llie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
honesty is the best policy. its the only thing you can do and if she wants to live in london unless you want to spend billions you will live in a **** area with loads of rubbish and kids stabbing eachother ppo robbing you dont go out at night. i live in west london amd its not somewhere you want to spend your life like you can get a bigger nicer house for the same price as a flat in london somewhere else. so be honest because honesty is better then lying and 1 day she will understand
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
A very fortunate and privileged girl who is too used to relying on her parents and doesn’t know how to spread her own wings.
Anonymous #1
Yeah... I've sort of drifted away from her a bit as I don't think it's a positive way to approach life. I come from a very different type of background so I struggle to see how someone can have that sense of entitlement to luxury built into them.

I enjoy working hard for what I get and I'm not resentful of those that have money. I do question the quality of someones goals and aspirations if they don't want to work hard to get something though. Maybe I'm wrong for feeling this way.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Has your friend dropped out of university then? It sounds like she's lived in a very nice bubble for most of her life (probably helped by parents who built that around her), and she doesn't really know what to make of a world where not everyone has her privilege. It also seems a bit odd that she isn't aware of how to build a career rather than simply walking into your dream job.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Has your friend dropped out of university then? It sounds like she's lived in a very nice bubble for most of her life (probably helped by parents who built that around her), and she doesn't really know what to make of a world where not everyone has her privilege. It also seems a bit odd that she isn't aware of how to build a career rather than simply walking into your dream job.
She dropped out, yes. She's studying from home so that she can still enjoy living at home but she's never admitted this was the reason - part of me wonders if she's aware of how she comes across/if this is the case that she's aware that it is.

Her parents bought her car and she sees it as her achievement and I don't understand how as you can't achieve something that's gifted to you?

She genuinely just doesn't get it. She would only want a job thats low-hours but high enough pay for her to live on the comfort she is now... but she doesn't understand that even if you have a degree that won't just happen. You still need to work your way up regardless.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
She dropped out, yes. She's studying from home so that she can still enjoy living at home but she's never admitted this was the reason - part of me wonders if she's aware of how she comes across/if this is the case that she's aware that it is.

Her parents bought her car and she sees it as her achievement and I don't understand how as you can't achieve something that's gifted to you?

She genuinely just doesn't get it. She would only want a job thats low-hours but high enough pay for her to live on the comfort she is now... but she doesn't understand that even if you have a degree that won't just happen. You still need to work your way up regardless.
It sounds like she needs a good down to earth conversation. Once you actually starts job searching, she's going to quickly realise that her expectations are way off.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (6)
4.17%
Confident (14)
9.72%
Indifferent (15)
10.42%
Unsure (32)
22.22%
Worried (77)
53.47%

Watched Threads