How to stay productive in the summer holidays (Yr 12-13)

Watch
Ali-liyyah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey guys! Hope you’re all good. I’m going into Year 13 in September and I really want to use this summer to get ahead with my work, UCAS application and EPQ. I also want to use this time to relax and enjoy the holidays too. Any advice on how to stay productive in the summer holidays? Thanks in advance x
Export kid
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi i'm in the same boat too, i give myself a small amount of work to do every week so that i'm on track with my studies but it's really quite minimal and i get plenty of free time. I work for about 1-2 hours per day monday to friday and it's really nothing
sunsetpeony
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hey! i'm going into year 13 too

i haven't burnt myself out as it is the holidays, but i'm just trying to do something each day - e.g. homework. i'm also aiming to get ahead on revision and make sure i have made all my resources for everything covered so far so that i don't have to worry about it in september.

i finished my EPQ in april and i would use this time to do some research into your topic (if you've already chosen one) so that you can save some time later down the line. maybe also practice referencing if you're not sure how to already as it can be quite difficult at first!

you've also reminded me that i should probably be thinking more about my UCAS application haha - i'm definitely going to go over the first draft of my personal statement and research unis!
Ali-liyyah
Rep:
?
Okay, thanks guys! This was really helpful. So are you guys making a revision timetable or just a list of things you need to do? Because I’ve got a list, but I feel like I should make a timetable?

Also, for my EPQ, I’m doing a short story about false imprisonments and police brutality, but I’m confused on what I should be researching and how to show my research. Any advice? Thanks again x
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm not going to make a timetable because I know realistically that I won't stick to it :lol: Making a list for the week sounds like a good idea - I might try that!

Going to try and get the main section of my EPQ done in the hols

(Original post by Ali-liyyah)
Also, for my EPQ, I’m doing a short story about false imprisonments and police brutality, but I’m confused on what I should be researching and how to show my research. Any advice? Thanks again x
You could research into some specific cases/read newspaper articles/watch tv show or documentary etc. I think you'll need to do a source evaluation (if it was useful/what it helped you with etc.) so worth noting down what you read!
sentry_going_up
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Something i found helpful was making a huge excel spreadsheet with every single sub topic listed (taken from spec) and just tick off one tiny topic a day. So it doesn't really seem like much work per day but over a long time you cover a lot of ground. You just need to make sure you really apply yourself for the ten minutes or so that it takes to revise a small thing.

This works well for subjects like maths/further maths and stuff like that, but not so well for languages for example. So for that I just stick a few quotes from the book we study into a flashcard deck and i can learn a few a week like that
sunsetpeony
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ali-liyyah)
Okay, thanks guys! This was really helpful. So are you guys making a revision timetable or just a list of things you need to do? Because I’ve got a list, but I feel like I should make a timetable?

i personally haven't got a timetable as it's the holidays and instead i've just got a long check list (which doesn't have a lot crossed off yet!!) but if you feel like a timetable would work for you, go for it (just make sure you don't overwork yourself!).

for your epq, obviously you need to research false imprisonments and police brutality - i would type both into google scholar to see if any articles come up that may be of use. if not, core.ac.uk has loads of research papers that may be relevant and i would have a look at government websites as they'll have some stats. make sure when you research to note down where you've got your info from!!!! to show your research, i would recommend a resource log - you record the website/journal/article (and any appropriate info - i.e web address, publication date, author) and you may want to write your notes there too!
Ali-liyyah
Rep:
?
Okay guys. Thanks so much for all your help! I’ll try to use your tips. I’ll probably just tick off the things that I have done from my list. Thanks again x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (116)
25.55%
Better than expected (93)
20.48%
Worse than expected (245)
53.96%

Watched Threads