Computer Science PhD following MSc CS Conversion - not realistic?

Watch
kellettt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey - I am currently completing an MSc Computer Science with Data Analytics at York. It's a 'conversion' course I am doing alongside work and I have a BSc in Economics. I've worked in tech consulting for a few years since graduating and initially wanted to move closer to becoming a developer rather than implementing the solutions.

However, I'm now enjoying the studying way more than I've ever enjoyed my job and am considering applying for a PhD on completion. I did some applied statistics as part of my undergrad and will be completing AI/ML and Big Data modules as part of my MSc (as well as the standard CS theory modules) and would love to get onto a PhD course in machine learning/data (generic, I know - I'm working on that). Am I going to be realistically too unqualified on completion to be considered for a PhD? (Particularly a funded one, as I can't afford to self-fund)

Would appreciate any and all advice!

Edit: My undergrad is a First from Kent and I am working on the assumption this is only even remotely realistic if I achieve a Distinction for my MSc, which I have confidence I will do.
Last edited by kellettt; 1 week ago
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You would really have to ask around to different supervisors, but I'd say you probably have a reasonable chance, particularly if you lean on your economics background. Being multidisciplinary is very valuable for engineering PhDs so I would imagine there are at least some supervisors out there who would be keen on someone with your background.
kellettt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
You would really have to ask around to different supervisors, but I'd say you probably have a reasonable chance, particularly if you lean on your economics background. Being multidisciplinary is very valuable for engineering PhDs so I would imagine there are at least some supervisors out there who would be keen on someone with your background.
Thanks for the speedy reponse. I hadn't considered that having an undergrad that isn't CS might help.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by kellettt)
Thanks for the speedy reponse. I hadn't considered that having an undergrad that isn't CS might help.
It only helps if you take advantage of it, which not everyone wants to do. But yeah, everyone in my group studied a different subject at undergrad to their PhD, so don't worry about having a different background. Use it to your advantage if you're happy to continue doing economics related things during your PhD.
kellettt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
It only helps if you take advantage of it, which not everyone wants to do. But yeah, everyone in my group studied a different subject at undergrad to their PhD, so don't worry about having a different background. Use it to your advantage if you're happy to continue doing economics related things during your PhD.
I'm definitely interested in maintaining economics, that's good news. Thanks for the help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (126)
24.05%
Better than expected (113)
21.56%
Worse than expected (285)
54.39%

Watched Threads