Turn on thread page Beta

Jail for woman navy officer who cried rape. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-lover.html

Glad to see Justice done, I sincerely hope he is fully compensated for his traumatic ordeal.

Her tariff will be half of the original sentence - his will last a lifetime

And what kind of man is the boyfriend to stay with that after what has transpired? He is not only blind but an idiot. I think men accused of rape should remain anon until found guilty because unfortunately some women cannot be trusted to behave like adults and make malicious or attention seeking allegations.

Don't get me wrong Rape is a terrible crime and I am fully in favour of harsh sentences and possible death for serial rapists but I think women like this help the public to have the attitude no smoke without fire in these cases.

A similar case happened near where I live although she wasn't jailed but given a suspended sentence. He I believe is going to try to sue her. How succesful he will be I don't know.

Sad thing is ,if Harridan Harperson and other manhaters has her way with making it easier to convict men of rape the poor bloke might be rotting in a cell now.

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see some justice, although I'm fully in support of women who make these false accusations having far longer sentences considering how malicious a false rape accusation can be, and how much it can harm someone.

Unfortunately, we're not really innocent until guilty, and this guy likely has a stigma attached to him. At least the woman was entirely discredited, which hangs in his favour, but I feel terrible for men who are acquitted on rape charges, but the woman still appears credible, in which case they're often still ostricised.

Makes me think about people who have probably been wrongly sent to jail for this kind of thing. Disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    She sould be stripped of her assets in order to compensate this man.

ReputationRep:
    Good, some justice for once she did deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdasta)
    Nice to see some justice, although I'm fully in support of women who make these false accusations having far longer sentences considering how malicious a false rape accusation can be, and how much it can harm someone.

Unfortunately, we're not really innocent until guilty, and this guy likely has a stigma attached to him. At least the woman was entirely discredited, which hangs in his favour, but I feel terrible for men who are acquitted on rape charges, but the woman still appears credible, in which case they're often still ostricised.

Makes me think about people who have probably been wrongly sent to jail for this kind of thing. Disgusting.
    In my opinion the prison sentence for a false accusation should be similar to the term given to a rapist . Because it's not just the stigma attached to the man it's police interviews and very initmate medical examinations on the man accused. He would feel violated in my opinion.He has the shadow of jail in front of him and we all know how rapists and nonces are treated by other prisoners in prison.Imagine getting treated like that when you are innocent?

I am actually surprised she went to prison at all . Hopefully her time inside is throughly unpleasant as I doubt many women in with her will have much sympathy.

ReputationRep:
    Urgh people like her give women and genuine rape victims a bad name.

ReputationRep:
    12 months is not near enough, 12 years would be more appropriate. Very rarely is a woman accusing a man of rape telling the truth, which is why it would be a travesty to make it any easier to convict men of rape. We need far harsher sentences to deter these malicious scumbags.

ReputationRep:
    Christ sake, justice but why the short sentence. Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomgirl)
    Urgh people like her give women and genuine rape victims a bad name.
    :ditto:
    I fully support her being given a sentence in jail. No sum of money or time in jail can fully compensate the damage she's caused to the poor guy.

ReputationRep:
    Longer sentences for false reports may stop people who have really been raped from coming forward. It is often a case of one person's word against another. If you were raped, but there were no witnesses would you come forward knowing that if the rapist was found innocent you could spend the next 12 years of your life in jail?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyhelicopter)
    Longer sentences for false reports may stop people who have really been raped from coming forward. It is often a case of one person's word against another. If you were raped, but there were no witnesses would you come forward knowing that if the rapist was found innocent you could spend the next 12 years of your life in jail?
    But that is not how it would work at all. Just because the man accused of rape is not found guilty, doesn't mean it would automatically mean the woman is assumed to be lying. That would be totally ridiculous. There is a big difference between proving someone innocent and not being able to prove they are guilty. In the majority of rape cases with no conviction it's because there just isn't enough evidence to say either way. In cases like that it would not be assumed the woman was lying because you just don't know either way. There wouldn't be enough evidence to prove that the man raped her or that she was lying about being raped. In this case it seems very obvious she was lying and there was evidence to support that.

ReputationRep:
    i hate women who make false accusations ...good for her

ReputationRep:
    We should put women convicted of that in male prisons.

ReputationRep:
    The sentence is fine. Anyone would much rather live with being falsely accused of rape than being a rape victim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arowana123)
    12 months is not near enough, 12 years would be more appropriate. Very rarely is a woman accusing a man of rape telling the truth, which is why it would be a travesty to make it any easier to convict men of rape. We need far harsher sentences to deter these malicious scumbags.
    [Citation Needed]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    But that is not how it would work at all. Just because the man accused of rape is not found guilty, doesn't mean it would automatically mean the woman is assumed to be lying. That would be totally ridiculous. There is a big difference between proving someone innocent and not being able to prove they are guilty. In the majority of rape cases with no conviction it's because there just isn't enough evidence to say either way. In cases like that it would not be assumed the woman was lying because you just don't know either way. There wouldn't be enough evidence to prove that the man raped her or that she was lying about being raped. In this case it seems very obvious she was lying and there was evidence to support that.
    It is how it works though- innocent until proven guilty. If person proved not guilty, person must have been lying.

ReputationRep:
    What a *****...she's a joke. That poor guy now instead of the shadow of jail over him has the shadow of 'rape'.
    Man the **** up.
    The Navy is a male dominated career, I sincerely hope she loses her job.

ReputationRep:
    Surely there should've been some sort of media blackout for his name? Unless he'd been named during their investigation and this was as good as clearing his name as he could get. If that was the case then he should sue big time.

One year for ruining some poor blokes life is not enough just like had he raped her 5 years would not have been enough for what he'd done to her. Also, keep in mind that with good behaviour she'll be out in a few months.

ReputationRep:
    It is how it works though- innocent until proven guilty. If person proved not guilty, person must have been lying.
    No, it isn't.

(*sighs* For anyone watching the "'Gaydar' is real!?" thread, apologies for having to do this again...)

There's a very big difference between proving True vs False and Probably vs Probably Not.

Just because you couldn't convince the jury (who, by the way, are only human) when the wind was North Easterly and you had purple socks on does not mean that it wasn't true.

If we take a completely lame statistical analogy (because, unlike the algebra used in the French legal system many centuries ago - see Foucault: "Discipline and Punish" for a lovely account of that - it just doesn't work like this) and put the burden of "proof" at 75%, then to go beyond reasonable doubt in the other direction, you'd have had to be less than 25% convincing.

Which should make sense, even if it doesn't hold a drop of statistical water.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously in reality there are only two possibilities, the man raped her, or she was lying. But that's not how the courts work. They simply would not assume that the woman is guilty of lying if they couldn't find the man guilty. Innocent until proven guilty works both ways. If there isn't enough evidence either way then both parties would be assumed innocent even though that actually couldn't be the case.

Anyway it's not like there would be some kind of double trial where both the alleged rapist and the alleged victim are defending. The woman wouldn't be charged with perverting the course of justice by default. It would only happen if the circumstances warranted it. I'm not sure who would be making that decision, but in the majority of cases it wouldn't get that far.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.