Could I do a foundation year in my hometown and use it to another uni later?

Watch
mma_jd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, so basically I am due to start uni this September however I've been thinking a lot and I'm not really that happy starting at this uni as it's mid-tier. I'd really like to study at a top-tier, russel group university, but unfortunately with my BTEC results I'm not able to get into one. I was wondering, if I cancelled my place at the uni I applied to this September, would I be able to do just a 1-year foundation course at the uni where I live (so I wouldn't be moving away to uni this year, would stay living with my parents for the next year while doing the foundation course), and then next year (for Sep 21 entry) use that to apply to a russel group university and start uni properly, from Year 1 and move away? Is this a good idea, or are there better things I could do to get into a RG uni? Bear in mind I did a BTEC so a level resits aren't an option...
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mma_jd)
Hi, so basically I am due to start uni this September however I've been thinking a lot and I'm not really that happy starting at this uni as it's mid-tier. I'd really like to study at a top-tier, russel group university, but unfortunately with my BTEC results I'm not able to get into one. I was wondering, if I cancelled my place at the uni I applied to this September, would I be able to do just a 1-year foundation course at the uni where I live (so I wouldn't be moving away to uni this year, would stay living with my parents for the next year while doing the foundation course), and then next year (for Sep 21 entry) use that to apply to a russel group university and start uni properly, from Year 1 and move away? Is this a good idea, or are there better things I could do to get into a RG uni? Bear in mind I did a BTEC so a level resits aren't an option...
Bad move dont do it, non standard and less flexible plus expensive.

Just withdraw and do an access course at college.
mma_jd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Bad move dont do it, non standard and less flexible plus expensive.

Just withdraw and do an access course at college.
I heard you need to be 19 for HE course though, more of a mature student thing, I have a BTEC just that it's not good enough plus I'm 18
Last edited by mma_jd; 3 months ago
999tigger
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mma_jd)
I heard you need to be 19 for HE course though, more of a mature student thing, I have a BTEC just that it's not good enough plus I'm 18
What grades do you have for BTE overall and unist in terms of DMP?.
What course and uni do you have to go to?
What course and unis do you think you ought to go to?

Foundation years in these situations imo are a poor choice, expensive and less flexible.
Do an access course or if you have to wait till 19 ( you dont always have to), then wait.

That is what I would do.
remussjhj01
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You should email the unis you would be interested in applying to for 2021 entry. Some unis will take a foundation year, especially given the situation this year with covid.
I have good grades but only an a-level, a BTEC and an as-level. I initially tried a foundation year, and Royal Holloway (which is lovely) said they'd take the foundation year as long as I also took my grade 7 guitar and theory exams, as well as a 2:1 in the FY. I couldn't do this because I had to drop out of the foundation year, but they're a great uni who said they'd take a foundation year from a lower tier uni.
On the flip side though, Surrey said they wouldn't take it, so it is important to email or call the unis to ask.
It might also be worth seeing what's in clearing, as there might be a great course at a great uni that asks for lower grades than they normally would.
For the email, find as many unis as you can, to give yourself the best chance. You should say what uni you're at, what you study, and if you have any extenuating circumstances, mention them as well, as then the uni can put the grades in context.
Last edited by remussjhj01; 3 months ago
Benben93
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
What grades do you have for BTE overall and unist in terms of DMP?.
What course and uni do you have to go to?
What course and unis do you think you ought to go to?

Foundation years in these situations imo are a poor choice, expensive and less flexible.
Do an access course or if you have to wait till 19 ( you dont always have to), then wait.

That is what I would do.
Just note, depending on the course/uni, if you have an access they sometimes ask for a relevent A level at (x) grade aswell. Also some unis take a dim view of people just doing an access straight after A level and won't take you until 5 years after the date your A levels finished.
999tigger
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Benben93)
Just note, depending on the course/uni, if you have an access they sometimes ask for a relevent A level at (x) grade aswell. Also some unis take a dim view of people just doing an access straight after A level and won't take you until 5 years after the date your A levels finished.
Arent you getting ahead of yourself?
Why are you telling ,me?
Care to name the unis that wont take you till 5 years after your A levels have finished?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads