dream_high
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi guys :hello:

This blog will mainly be study orientated and maybe some few random stuff here and there.

A little bit about me:

1. Please call me Mimi. ( Note: This is not my real name as I don't feel comfortable sharing it but I hope you can understand )

2. I am studying Pharmacy (MPharm) at 'X' University (UK) - going into 2nd year :bee2:

3. As you can see from my 1st and 2nd point, I am a little shy :blushing: and secretive :ninjagirl: so please don't ask any personal questions like my real name, university or my bank details :eviltongue:

4. I am 20 years old :zomg:

5. My hobbies include embroidery (started like a month ago) and playing PUBG mobile:lockstock: (my friends get surprised every time they remember I play it because 'I look so innocent' :rofl3: but hey anyone can enjoy it!)

6. I also work at a community pharmacy as a dispensing assistant which I thoroughly enjoy :thumbsup:

:heart: :heart: :heart: THE END :heart: :heart: :heart:
Last edited by dream_high; 6 days ago
dream_high
Rep:
?
Post 1

Thoughts about 1st year Pharmacy

Before going to uni, I heard that 1st year (generally) is easy because it's all about laying the foundation and making sure everyone is on the same level. Since I did a level bio, chem and maths (+ business), I thought everything would be great and I'd be on top of everything. Little did I know... my experience would be far from it! :cry:

Personally, I found 1st year challenging. I was in uni everyday (did I ever have a single day off? :hmmmm:) and on some days had up to 5 lectures a day. This one time I had 5 lectures + 2 workshops! (everyone died that day) :broken: I also didn't expect the content to be so heavy! (One lecture felt like 3 lessons+ worth of a level stuff). Be prepared future pharmacy students! :headfire: I admit it was mainly due to bad time management and my amazing procrastination skills (+ I had work). Nevertheless, I made it through first year and got better than I expected :thumbsup:

What I enjoyed learning the most in 1st year pharmacy was mainly the different conditions / symptoms (hayfever, headaches, chickenpox, BV etc ) and its treatments. I also enjoyed learning about pharmokinetics and pharmacodynamics. On the other hand, I wasn't a huge fan of the human body system content - maybe because the content was really heavy and complicated (although I did enjoy some topics like immunology).

Something else that was also unexpected and I was unprepared for was the accents of some lecturers (from abroad) :shock: I had trouble understanding 5 of my lecturers in the beginning :dontknow: At one point, I (alongside my friends) even heard a lecturer say 'cat fingers' and we were like 'wait what??':rofl3:

Haha.

My advice for upcoming 1st years (and myself in 2nd year):

Make sure you're always on top of things! I'd say do your work first (go over lectures, make notes, do homework, pre-reading etc), get everything over and done with and then play as much as you want
Anonymous.22
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by dream_high)
Post 1

Thoughts about 1st year Pharmacy

Before going to uni, I heard that 1st year (generally) is easy because it's all about laying the foundation and making sure everyone is on the same level. Since I did a level bio, chem and maths (+ business), I thought everything would be great and I'd be on top of everything. Little did I know... my experience would be far from it! :cry:

Personally, I found 1st year challenging. I was in uni everyday (did I ever have a single day off? :hmmmm:) and on some days had up to 5 lectures a day. This one time I had 5 lectures + 2 workshops! (everyone died that day) :broken: I also didn't expect the content to be so heavy! (One lecture felt like 3 lessons+ worth of a level stuff). Be prepared future pharmacy students! :headfire: I admit it was mainly due to bad time management and my amazing procrastination skills (+ I had work). Nevertheless, I made it through first year and got better than I expected :thumbsup:

What I enjoyed learning the most in 1st year pharmacy was mainly the different conditions / symptoms (hayfever, headaches, chickenpox, BV etc ) and its treatments. I also enjoyed learning about pharmokinetics and pharmacodynamics. On the other hand, I wasn't a huge fan of the human body system content - maybe because the content was really heavy and complicated (although I did enjoy some topics like immunology).

Something else that was also unexpected and I was unprepared for was the accents of some lecturers (from abroad) :shock: I had trouble understanding 5 of my lecturers in the beginning :dontknow: At one point, I (alongside my friends) even heard a lecturer say 'cat fingers' and we were like 'wait what??':rofl3:

Haha.

My advice for upcoming 1st years (and myself in 2nd year):

Make sure you're always on top of things! I'd say do your work first (go over lectures, make notes, do homework, pre-reading etc), get everything over and done with and then play as much as you want
Tysm for this so insightful
I’ll be starting 1st year hopefully this year
I wanted to ask how is the maths. Would someone who didn’t study it at a levels struggle?
dream_high
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous.22)
Tysm for this so insightful
I’ll be starting 1st year hopefully this year
I wanted to ask how is the maths. Would someone who didn’t study it at a levels struggle?
Hi thanks for reading!

In my uni we had a couple of workshops (maybe 3 or 4?) that was solely for the maths side of pharmacy. The lecturer went over everything in detail (units, conversion, equations) and it was very useful and easy to understand. I think you'll be fine as long as you understand the concept and how to apply it. If you don't understand it, make sure to ask the lecturer or even your peers I'm sure your uni library will also have a handful of books which you can use to practice.

Personally, I think if you didn't do biology at a level you're probably more likely to struggle 1st year pharmacy (than someone who didn't do maths) :ashamed2:

But everything will be OK! Just practice, practice, practice :banana:
dream_high
Rep:
?
Post 2

Summer hopes, what I did today and my plans for tomorrow

My plan over the summer was to go through everything from 1st year as I did not understand some topics well and just memorised it (lol). Then there's other things which I've forgotten already! (mechanisms - oops) :bigsmile:

Few days ago, I was finally able to start going over my lecture notes. :congrats: My original revision notes were written on paper but towards the end of 1st year, I realised I learnt best by typing instead. I prefer typing because I don't have to worry about my handwriting and drawing complicated diagrams (which was very time consuming). For 2nd year, I plan to continue taking notes on paper (during lectures) then type it up in word doc afterwards as revision. At the end, I like to print it in a small booklet form (which I did for one of my modules in 1st year in which I somehow managed to get 100% in :ahee:).

Today, I was able to go over 1 lecture which was on different functional groups - learning about its physio-chemical properties and Functional Group Interconversions (which is basically the process of transforming one functional group to another e.g. alkyne --> alkane). Going through the lecture notes and re-writing (typing) it has definitely helped me consolidate my learning. :dancing:

My plans for tomorrow is to go over at least one lecture (hopefully more) and to try to answer some questions based on the different functional groups I have gone over so far

See you tomorrow :rave:
dream_high
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Post 3
Today (well technically yesterday)

I managed to go over 2 lectures based on the same topic so I am happy Unfortunately, I didn't do the questions to test my knowledge on functional groups like planned. So, I'll (hopefully) do this tomorrow and make some posters and flash cards as well (will post pics if I do :gthumb:)

A non-study goal I have is sleeping earlier! (especially before uni starts). I am going to set myself a target of sleeping by 12am tomorrow. Um yeah... good luck with that fake Mimi :ahee:

But that's all for now. :ciao: See you later folks (because it's already a new day) :hello:
dream_high
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Post 4
Bits and bobs

I managed to do some questions on functional groups :clap2: I got some right and some wrong so I could see that I definitely need to practice more. :headfire: I also made a poster on alkene and it's functional group interconversion (pic). On the down side, I only finished half a lecture today so hopefully I can finish the rest tomorrow and go over another lecture as well.

Yesterday I set a goal to sleep by 12am today so I'm off to brush my teeth (but still no guarantee I'll sleep at 12 - will update tomorrow) :cyber: byeee:bl:
Attached files
Last edited by dream_high; 4 days ago
dream_high
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
Post 5
A productive day

Hello :hello:,
Sorry I didn't update yesterday. I didn't do much (just made some more posters on FGI's) so I didn't think there was much to write about. In regards to sleeping at 12am.. Yeah.. No.. :ashamed2: I ended up sleeping much later :cry:I really need to fix this bad habit of mine..any tips on how to sleep earlier? Early birds spill your secrets ! :getmecoat:

In regards to revising, I finished the other half of the lecture that I started 2 days ago (yay) :dance: and I went through another lecture as well ( SN1, SN2 mechanism, E1, E2 etc). Additionally, I went through a workbook on basic chemistry which was given by my uni. It was kind of like a pre-reading workbook but I have to admit I didn't even read half of the stuff whilst at uni (maybe this is why you struggled Mimi! :eviltongue:) It was really useful and I learned some new information.

As you can see, I am currently focusing on just 1 module which is the chemistry one. It would make sense to go through the one I found hardest first but this is my 2nd hardest module. The hardest one (which I've mentioned in a previous post) was the human body system. I felt like if I had done that one first, I probably would have never finished it and just lost motivation to study all together. So I decided to start with this one to slowly build up my 'study mood' :dumbells: so that when I'm finished, I'll be ready and in the spirit to tackle the final boss :evil:

Thanks for reading :love:

I won't be posting until sunday as I have some personal things going on tomorrow and the day after.

See you on Sunday and good night :grouphugs:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads