The Student Room Group

Any film student here? Need some advice on film school

I'm gonna study a master degree of film-making(not film studies) in UK as an international student in 2021. I've decided to study in London as there're full of film companies and opportunities for starting a career here after graduation. My focus leans towards career and the course quality in terms of how practical the course content would be.

I've done some research on famous film school in London, NFTS (National Film and Television School) seems to be a champ, but unfortunately I couldn't quite afford the fee there. So, right now my options are left with:

MetFilm School London

London Film Academy

University of Westminster

Central Film School

Which one do you recommend and why would you pick that one?
Studying in London because of film companies isn’t really a valid point. The film studios are outside of London, with those closest to it actually in the Home Counties: Pinewood in Buckinghamshire; Warner Bros Leavesden, BBC Elstree and Elstree Studios in Hertfordshire; Shepperton in Surrey.

You should look at CILECT universities, those with award wins such as Student Academy Awards, TEF Gold or Silver teaching and ScreenSkills validation.
Reply 2
Original post by filmworker
Studying in London because of film companies isn’t really a valid point. The film studios are outside of London, with those closest to it actually in the Home Counties: Pinewood in Buckinghamshire; Warner Bros Leavesden, BBC Elstree and Elstree Studios in Hertfordshire; Shepperton in Surrey.

You should look at CILECT universities, those with award wins such as Student Academy Awards, TEF Gold or Silver teaching and ScreenSkills validation.

Thank you for the reply! But Isn't studying in a city like London with many top-notch companies, like Netflix, Endemol Shine, 20th Century, Fox and so on....more condensed and promising for seeking out opportunities?

I'd also like to ask if you know or have heard any information/review within any of the schools I mentioned?
I'm also open to schools outside London as well, like Leeds Beckett University, Bournemouth Film School and UEA
Original post by Anthony_HT
I'm gonna study a master degree of film-making(not film studies) in UK as an international student in 2021. I've decided to study in London as there're full of film companies and opportunities for starting a career here after graduation. My focus leans towards career and the course quality in terms of how practical the course content would be.

I've done some research on famous film school in London, NFTS (National Film and Television School) seems to be a champ, but unfortunately I couldn't quite afford the fee there. So, right now my options are left with:

MetFilm School London

London Film Academy

University of Westminster

Central Film School

Which one do you recommend and why would you pick that one?

you can afford to go to met film school but you can't afford to go to nfts???????
Reply 4
Like Filmworker said, you should look for CILECT universities. From what I understand (not 100% sure), London Film Academy is not part of CILECT.
Im also looking to study film in London and I attended the University of Westminster open day, it was actually really helpful and I got to speak with a current student. I genuinely fell in love with the university, and the course seems really good. The other unis you mentioned I discarded them but only because I would be an international student and wanted a university that would give me more support as a foreign student.
Im currently also looking at the Film Practice course on UAL (university of the Arts London), but I can't find any reviews on the course or anyone who is currently in it. So maybe you can check that one out as well, you might like it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending