Starting new UCAS application for clearing (deferred applicant)

Watch
mma_jd
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, so I have a deffered application for entry to a uni this September. However, I have changed my mind and want to go through clearing now. But apparently, I cannot do that using my current application due to the fact that it's a deffered application from last year, so I have to start a whole new one. My main question is, how will I even go about getting a reference for this new application? I haven't seen my college teachers in over a year, plus I assume they are all on holiday now and I'd have no way to get in touch with them. Do I need a reference for this new application, or is there a way to link it to my previous reference from my previous application?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ignoring your complexities due deferral, one of the only requirements for clearing NOW, is that you have your results in hand. Many Adjustments/Clearings are open. As you presumably have that, then phone-up a few, a couple, of your main interest education-providers and see if you can get anywhere. Start with , I have ABC and I wish to do XYZ at your place, can you give me an (informal) offer and can I get accom too?
Listen, write stuff down, take notes, get names of the helpful people telling you this
Then mention the defer, and they will either retract everything (unlikely) or do something to your UCAS profile, that only universities can?
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mma_jd)
Hi, so I have a deffered application for entry to a uni this September. However, I have changed my mind and want to go through clearing now. But apparently, I cannot do that using my current application due to the fact that it's a deffered application from last year, so I have to start a whole new one. My main question is, how will I even go about getting a reference for this new application? I haven't seen my college teachers in over a year, plus I assume they are all on holiday now and I'd have no way to get in touch with them. Do I need a reference for this new application, or is there a way to link it to my previous reference from my previous application?
Can you not email them? Does your college not have a generic enquiries/postbox email address if you don't have your teacher's direct email addresses? You do need a new reference. You'll also need to contact the uni where you are holding your deferred offer to get them to withdraw you, before officially applying through UCAS 2020 otherwise it will be automatically rejected.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mma_jd)
Why do you assume that they’re all on holiday and that no one is answering the phone or emails?

You can’t reuse your old reference. You can ask them to resubmit the same reference but they have to choose that it isn’t your decision.

Some universities will accept a UCAS application without a reference (as long as you provide the reference later before enrolling) but that needs to be agreed with the university before applying. Many universities will reject a UCAS application that lacks a reference.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Also you knew about this requirement 3 months ago and haven’t done anything about it. It’s a but unfair to blame your school or UCAS for your own disorganisation https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...978&highlight=
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (210)
38.53%
Take autumn exams (164)
30.09%
Look for a job (19)
3.49%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.04%
Take a year out (97)
17.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.06%

Watched Threads